You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-4-2020 13:29:04  #1

Differences between German and Mexico made Olympia SG3

Good morning.
I own some Olivetti typewriters, which I use regularly. In particular I have two Linea 98, which I love.

Recently I have the possibility to buy an Olympia SG3, made in mexico, NOS.
I wanted to know if, qualitatively, there is a lot of difference between the SG3 built in Germany and the one built in Mexico.

It would be nice, if possible, that your post photos that highlight the differences between Germany and Mexico...

03-4-2020 13:47:41  #2

Re: Differences between German and Mexico made Olympia SG3

I have SG3s from both factories and wouldn't hesitate to buy a Mexican-made version - particularly not if it's an actual NOS model. It's an excellent standard to use regardless of its origin, one that I prefer to the Linea 98 in terms of performance. However, from a purely aesthetic perspective I'd much rather spend time looking at the Linea.

The differences between German and Mexican versions were summed up by thetypewriterman in a previous post:

...the cast alloy side frames with (replaced with) stamped metal plates.  This actually made the machine more difficult to clean in the field.  You could easily insert a long typewriter cleaning brush through the gaps in the cast sides, but not through the stamped ones.  The stamped plates were on the last of the German-produced machines.  This problem solved itself when production switched to Mexico for the final few years.  Although more plastic internal parts appeared, the original-style cast side frames re-appeared.  Thank goodness!  Typewriter engineers and conscientious typists could once more get into the sides of the machine to give it a good clean!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-4-2020 15:33:59  #3

Thanks Uwe.
I have always used Olivetti, and I was always intrigued to try an Olympia, which is always very well talked about. Yes, I would have the opportunity to buy it NOS, original, with all the accessories, for 50 euros. It is almost certainly a model built in recent years..
It is a military stock in Italy of about #30 SG3, purchased and kept in storage. When the computers took over, they remained unused and packed.

04-4-2020 05:37:27  #4

I was reading the SG3 owners manual and asked myself a question.

It is recommended to lubricate the machine in moving points, with the exception of the segment, typebar, and line spacing wheel.

I knew that the oil should not be placed in the segment because when it makes the typebar gummy, but I thought that the escapement wheel had to be lubricated. How come you don't have to lubricate it?

04-4-2020 05:47:06  #5

In a way, you have answered your own question ! ' It is recommended to lubricate the machine in moving points, with the exception of the segment, typebar, and line spacing wheel.'  Line Spacing wheel = Line spacing ratchet, not escapement wheel.    I think the reason Olympia do not want you to lubricate this is that oil could contaminate the platen on portables where the ratchet is immediately adjacent to the rubber.  Possibly this advice has been blindly copied over to the instruction books for the office machines.  In fact it is beneficial to lubricate the ratchet lightly to help preserve the detent roller.

04-4-2020 06:13:39  #6

Thank you very much!
I confudes the two wheel!

04-4-2020 13:45:29  #7

I take this opportunity to ask another question.
In general, what types of oils and grease should be used? And where is it preferable to use grease, and where oil?

04-4-2020 15:13:03  #8

The best oil to use is sewing machine oil, which is practically the same as typewriter oil.  You can also use 0W synthetic motor oil, which is thin enough to not cause any problems.  Oil sparingly, very little oil is needed.  You probably won't need to use grease anywhere.

04-4-2020 15:51:24  #9

Thanks.
I asked about the use of grease, because my Olivetti typewriters had some grease from the factory in some places: in particular in the carriage rails, in the escapement wheel and in the interline level fulcrum. They were NOS machines, and before using them I thought to lubricate them again, because they had been closed in the box for about 30 years. I thought that in these places it was necessary to replace the old grease with the new one...

Board footera