You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-4-2020 07:07:43  #1

Type alignment

Hello,
I would have a curiosity: type alignment was an operation that was also done by repair technicians during typewriters periodic maintenance? Or was the alignment considered final when the machine left the factory?
Especially in offices that used the machine intensively, is the alignment lost after years?
I would like to know the experience of the technicians, maybe if they can tell some particular story or anecdote concerning this art of type aligning...

Thanks!

09-4-2020 10:02:42  #2

Re: Type alignment

Type Alignment was considered final at the factory, but as the machine wears it will change.  The hole that the type bar pivots on will wear oval, which will alter the alignment of that character.  In English, the letter 'e' is the most used and this character often suffers first. Alignment can also be affected by the typebars clashing each other, especially in typewriters which do not have hardened spring steel typebars.  Most Smith-Coronas have soft typebars, so do IBM electric typewriters.

09-4-2020 17:39:08  #3

Thanks.
Why did some companies prefer soft steel for typebars rather than spring steel? Is there a particular technical reason?

10-4-2020 04:17:57  #4

I suspect that soft steel typebars are cheaper.  If they get bent, it is easy to bend them back into shape.  Unfortunately because they are soft, they are more likely to get bent in the first place !  Spring steel is less likely to get bent - but can break.  Spring steel is the better choice in my opinion !

10-4-2020 08:10:32  #5

Thanks for the replies.
On my Olivetti Linea 98 I noticed a particular phenomenon.
On the side typebars (example letter "A" or "P") when they are pressed slowly the character is imprinted slightly lower, compared to when you press hard, which is printed slightly higher.
I refer to the position of the character printed on paper (not to its intensity, which obviously depends on the inking).
Clearly, it is a few tenths of a millimeter, however the effect is visible. In central typebars this phenomenon does not occur. Is there an explanation for this behavior?

10-4-2020 14:34:59  #6

Yes.  The typebars at the extreme ends of the segment (type basket if you are in the US) are more likely to be favouring one side of the centre guide due to their shape.  Depending on how hard the key is pressed, the typeface will glance one side of the centre guide or hit straight ahead, altering the alignment slightly.

Board footera