You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-4-2020 02:40:46  #1

Standard typewriter prices in mid 80's

I have a curiosity: how much did cost a standard typewriter, such as Olympia SG3 or Olivetti Linea 98, in the 80s?

15-4-2020 03:23:08  #2

Re: Standard typewriter prices in mid 80's

I have a Dutch Olympia pricelist from a little earlier, 1972, maybe it is of interest:
https://www.laurenzvangaalen.nl/olympia-traveller/downloads/olympia-price-list-nl-1972.pdf
The SG3 is called SGN and SGS.

15-4-2020 05:02:49  #3

Thank you very much!
A Sg3 with decimal tabulator cost around 1000f. Now you have to understand what was the purchasing power of 1000f for 1972 in the Netherlands!

15-4-2020 11:27:00  #4

I once worked out what the Olympia SG1 Super would have cost today based on its introduction price in 1956, and it worked out to CAD$2,284 (or 1.485 €). I've done similar calculations for other makes/models over the years, and with regard to standard typewriters their pricing was the equivalent of what you would expect to spend on a higher-end laptop today.

Their cost explains why - for several decades - refurbished machines were so popular. For example, in 1963 it would have cost CAD$1,473 or 956 € (2020 equivalent) for a refurbished '50s Royal HH. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-4-2020 11:31:28  #5

Thank you very very much!

15-4-2020 11:39:12  #6

What operations were performed on the refurbished typewriters? I guess cleaning, oiling, and maybe replacing the rubber platen?..
And in general who bought the refurbished typewriter? Offices or private people?

15-4-2020 14:07:12  #7

Terminology might be important here, in which case I should have typed "reconditioned" instead of refurbished in my previous post.

In the case of factory reconditioned models, the typewriter would have been completely stripped and inspected. All parts would have been cleaned, and worn/defective parts replaced. Some metal parts were refinished (chromed/plated) or polished. The case (the machine's shell - not a travel/storage case) would have been refinished with baked enamel.

Of equal importance, the typewriter would have been restored to its original performance parameters and properly set up. And it came with some type of warranty.

Who bought these machines? My guess would be smaller businesses, and individuals (like journalists) who spent a lot of time typing and understood the value of a standard model versus a portable. 

Although maybe less prevalent now, we do have a similar option today to buy "factory refurbished" electronics. Ironically, I think the savings over new is similar today as it was back then.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-4-2020 01:42:12  #8

Thanks very much Uwe and Laurenz!

Board footera