You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-7-2014 19:36:28  #111

Re: New Member Thread

Welcome captainslack & comma - the more the merrier!

Sincerely,
beak.

16-7-2014 13:35:21  #112

From sunny tropical Singapore, waiting for a Underwood to arrive from the States 

I am a designer by trade, and learning Typography in prints and digital format is always fun and engaging. I felt for the longest time that as things get pixelized and digitalize, I feel the need to go deeper into tradition crafts and medium. Think silkscreen printings and letterpress! That's what made me to look for a typewriter in the past years and I finally got one that I like, with faux wood paint too.

Besides, if I ever have kids in the future, I wouldn't want to pass them a iPad or smart phone... I'd rather have them enjoy a 100+ year old machine, experience the need to care and do maintenance,  the need to be patience. As well as the amazement from a engineering aspect (I'm still amazed)

Last edited by Utahist (16-7-2014 14:03:35)

24-7-2014 00:33:16  #113

I'm Darren from Vancouver, BC, Canada.

I'm 45 years old, a writer, teacher, and an analogue guy in a digital world. I prefer to do things with machines rather than have the machines do things for me.

To that end, I have a 25 year old car, a 94 year old house, and 10 typewriters of various make and model.

I have one Remington Standard 10 (currently not working), one Remington Quiet-Riter (portable), one Eaton's (a store brand) which is really a Smith Corona in disguise, one Smith-Corona Silent from the early 50's, one Underwood Typemaster (standard - ex-Royal Bank), one Adler electric (still in storage), and three Olympia SG-1s (two 1st gen, and one 2nd).

The Eaton's machine is the most interesting to me personally because it was my mother's and she got it when she was 12. I typed on it as a kid and when it came time to type my college papers I used it for a semester until we got a computer. She recently let me have it and it had been stored in the basement (!!!) so needed some TLC. She's now all cleaned up and types well. I still think there needs to be some lubrication done, but I don't want to get oil all over the place so have held off. She may need to go in for service (thank goodness there is still a repairman in Vancouver) because this is the machine I will never part with. 

My other passion are the Olympias. They are such great work horses. I love the action and the way they just fly when the creative juices are flowing. 

I'm a secondary school English teacher and often type my comments directly onto student's work. Not only can they read it, it's faster for me too. I just use that handy dandy paper injector on the SG-1 and, swoop! their work is in the machine and ready to be typed on. 

I usually have a machine or two in my classroom for students to use when writing. They find that they really have to think ahead of the machine and work out what they will say ahead of time. Writing  first drafts on a typewriter is very frustrating for them. On the other hand, they get to practice their touch typing and they do revise their work beyond a simple spell check. 

Looking forward to reading the forums and getting to know other people who have the same "problem" with typewriters that I do. 

Darren

Last edited by Daebir (24-7-2014 00:37:07)

I have three SG-1s (I think I might have a problem).

24-7-2014 22:56:52  #114

Problem? What problem? Great to have another Canuck, and more importantly, another SG1 nut join the forum (I've got 5 of them). Welcome Darren!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-7-2014 12:41:26  #115

Olympias are quite wonderful -- I have 3 (not SGs, SMs), and none of them needed any work done on them when I got them. They're like tanks.

25-7-2014 16:19:19  #116

JanetLand wrote:

They're like tanks.

I swear the ones from the late '40s were made from recycled tanks!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-7-2014 15:11:58  #117

24quad6s here love the way old papers look typed up really interested in underwoods prewar any suggestions on good ones?

30-7-2014 12:22:49  #118

Hello! I''m Andy from the UK, and I'm currently cleaning up what I think is a Remington 12 with a view to using it. I really want to post a photo, but I need to post here twice before they'll let me... 

30-7-2014 12:28:45  #119

Welcome to TT Andy and 24quad6s!

01-8-2014 13:41:11  #120

Hello Everyone !

My name is Jim and live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  I'm a new member having just joined after discovering Typewriter Talk on a search for Smith-Corona Corsair (UK) repair info.  I'm aged 62, old enough to say I had a required-for-graduation Typing Class in school and found that skill to be most useful.  Though my typing skills are rusty, I do use all ten fingers (OK, eight fingers and two thumbs) just as I still use the index finger to dial phone numbers and turn on and off most appliances.

I'm still finding my way around the forum and appreciate the logical layout with which posting are submitted; it beats some forums which are little more than one long bulletin board.  Good Work to all. 

Board footera