You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-5-2020 11:06:39  #1

Silver reed 500

Hello,

I recently received a silver reed 500 typewriter as a gift, and decided to make a project of repainting the plastic pieces to give it some new life. I have successfully removed all but one pieces on the left hand side. It seems like I need to remove the left platen knob in order to remove this piece, but have been unable to do so. I have tried twisting it like it has said on other forums for other typewriters but nothing is budging. Would be really grateful for any advice/help.

Best,

Maya

07-5-2020 11:14:23  #2

Re: Silver reed 500

Hi Maya. Congratulations on the typewriter and welcome to the forum.

I've moved your post to the Repairs and Maintenance sub-forum, which is the appropriate place to get help with your question. Good luck on the repaint.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-5-2020 16:10:06  #3

The platen knob has a LEFT HAND THREAD.  That is why you haven't been able to unscrew it !  Be careful because it screws into a plastic insert in the end of the platen.  If you break the insert free by trying to unscrew the knob in the wrong direction, you will be in deep trouble !

08-5-2020 09:06:25  #4

Thank you very much for the response. Does this mean I should turn it anti-clockwise or clockwise? I am a complete novice to typewriters!

08-5-2020 15:12:41  #5

With a normal thread the rule is 'Righty Tighty - Leftie Loosy'.   With a left hand thread it is the exact opposite, so to loosen the knob, turn it Clockwise.

08-5-2020 15:50:21  #6

Thank you so much! It worked!

Board footera