You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-5-2020 17:04:06  #1

The large, the larger, and the largest.

This is a question, or request, for those who are more experienced in the collection or repair of standard typewriters.
What is the largest standard you have seen and how it compares to other well known standard models?, how would you rank them?

Personally, the largest one I've got is my Royal 440.
And just in case someone is interested in the dimensions ahead.

The highest point is the superior tip of the return lever, with 9.5 inches (24.1 cm)
The paper table, stands at 8.875 inches (22.5 cm)
Width ,knob to knob, 19.5 inches(49.5 cm) in my case
Body width 13.937 inches (35.4 cm)
Height to the top of the cover plate, 7.812 inches (19.8 cm)
Depth, 17.125 inches (43.5 cm)

Somewhat larger than the Olympia SG3 and the Underwood SS I had (wish I still could compare the measurements).

19-5-2020 12:40:11  #2

Re: The large, the larger, and the largest.

I was under the impression that size doesn't matter. At least that's what I'm constantly told.

To be honest, I've never compared the sizes of my standards, and it's an interesting question. I'll have to start paying attention and see if I can't determine which is the largest. However, perhaps your question should be specific to regular width carriages? I say this because I have a number of wide carriage models, a couple ridiculously so, and I don't think that should be a part of the criteria for determining which standards are the largest made.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-5-2020 03:55:42  #3

I think that the largest office manual typewriter (excluding the carriage) is probably the Hermes Ambassador.  Just as well that the built in rubber strip feet on each side act as a typewriter mat, because the machine is so wide that it won't fit onto a standard 12" by 13" typewriter mat !

20-5-2020 11:49:24  #4

Argio wrote:

And just in case someone is interested in the dimensions ahead.
Somewhat larger than the Olympia SG3 and the Underwood SS I had (wish I still could compare the measurements).

Correction:
And jusst in case someone is interested in the dimensions, here they are...*

Uwe wrote:

However, perhaps your question should be specific to regular width carriages?

My Royal 440 has a 13 inches carriage. Perhaps 11 to 13 inches could be considered the most regular sizes, as anything wider becomes a feature that requires attention by itself.

I am aware that the measurements of a (standard) typewriter can be irrelevant for most people and circumstances. However, I can imagine some particular situations when such information can come handy (storage, shelving, making a cover or a mat, packaging, etc.). Such information, when available, tends to be scattered all over the web and only for very few models.

It comes to mind how obscure are the measurements of the (venerable) Olympia SG1, considering how well know and appreciated that model is. The lines of the Olivetti Linea 98 have always made me think it is a smaller machine compared to others of the same category.

thetypewriterman wrote:

I think that the largest office manual typewriter (excluding the carriage) is probably the Hermes Ambassador.  Just as well that the built in rubber strip feet on each side act as a typewriter mat, because the machine is so wide that it won't fit onto a standard 12" by 13" typewriter mat !

I've always been wondering how big is the Hermess Ambassador, it is impressive to find it doesn't fit onto a standard mat; in this regard, I am also curious about the Hermes model 8 and model 9. Hermes standards also seem to be particulary tall compared to other standards.

21-5-2020 14:48:37  #5

With regard to the importance of measurements, I've found the vast majority of standards are similarly sized, or at least close enough that one mat, cover, etc., will fit most. Where the real issues begin - particularly when it comes to desk and storage space - is when a machine is fitted with a wider than standard carriage. 

Argio wrote:

The lines of the Olivetti Linea 98 have always made me think it is a smaller machine compared to others of the same category.

To the contrary, it's a large machine. It's larger than the SG1.

I just took some very rough measurements of a few sample standards next to the Linea 98 to make sure I wasn't imagining things:
MODEL - MEASUREMENT (width/depth/height in cm)
Olivetti Linea 98 36x43x22
Olivetti Linea 88 34x42x23
Olivetti Lexikon 80 29x39x23
Olympia SG1 31x40x23

Glancing at a few others that were close by, as a rule Underwoods are much taller, and some like the Royal Empress are deeper. Electric standard models positively dwarf manual standards, so anyone used to using/storing/covering/lifting them won't have any size concerns with other typewriters.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-5-2020 21:59:14  #6

That brutalist behemoth (Olivetti Linea 98) is actually quite big, I find it surprising without a doubt.

I guess that such a detailed measurement can be regarded merely as a curious information and a little surprise every now and then when comparing to other models. Also, you have quite a good point in regards the electric typewriters as size reference. My IBM Selectric III is the widest typewriter I own, but still shorter than all the standards I've seen in person, not by much but still. However this immediately makes me think in the Royal Emperor or the Facit 1820.

And so, the Royal Empress is pretty much (long as) a yacht, interesting.

Board footera