You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-5-2020 14:57:45  #1731

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

The $26 SC tan Silent Super with green keys and green stripes just showed up. Tabulator clear button was slightly bent. Bent it out and now it works. Very dirty and loaded with what I think may be dog hair and a few eraser shavings. Everything is slow, but everything works. Needs a good cleaning and I'm sure it will perk right up. 
Working on this and getting it typing well will be my reward to myself for finishing my thesis.

Phil Forrest

25-5-2020 13:34:06  #1732

Uwe wrote:

Now that you have a Gabriele, you absolutely have to get a Matura too. 

Speaking of the devil... What a machine, I am pleasantly surprised. Didn't buy this one because of the wide carriage. Now I am on the hunt for one with a normal carriage.Thanks for the tip. Maybe it is a worthy successor of my SG 3?

26-5-2020 13:28:51  #1733

Gorgeous. It's a previous (late '50s) generation to the one I have, so I would have bought it - if the price was right! Of course they are quite hard to find in Canada and you're probably spoiled for choice.

These are of the SG1 era, but given they're far sexier than an SG3, I would definitely agree with you that it's a worthy replacement for one.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-5-2020 13:38:48  #1734

I did not check for the price, but most typewriters in this thrift shop cost 5-15 euros. And I am indeed spoiled for European typewriters, the same way you are for American I guess. I would love to try the Smith Corona Sterling and the like, but they are very, very rare overhere. Strangely enough Remingtons are far more common...

26-5-2020 16:00:12  #1735

I haunt shopgoodwill online and sometimes get lucky. I never thought I'd get a Silent-Super for $26. I don't think they offer international shipping but you could possibly try. There is always this community you could ship to a trusted forum member then we could ship to you. That's a lot of shipping cost but it may also equal or offset the cost of sourcing an otherwise rare (on your side of the pond) machine.
Phil Forrest

26-5-2020 16:14:31  #1736

Thanks Phil, I have never thought of that. I am also new to shopgoodwill - a quick look showed immediately a lot of interesting machines.

29-5-2020 14:09:04  #1737

I couldn't resist to buy this one, it costed only 4.50 euros. Apart from the yellowed plastic body this Gabriele is in good shape. Note the same key is used for the tab and the backspace. I wonder if this is by design or one of them was replaced later with a wrong key.

29-5-2020 17:55:10  #1738

Laurenz van Gaalen wrote:

I wonder if this is by design or one of them was replaced later with a wrong key.

Looks like it was replaced with what someone had available to them. My slightly older J3, and newer J5 both have a legitimate 'TAB' keytop.

In other scenarios, I have come across symetrical keytops that must have come off and were accidentally reinstalled upside down with the arrow pointing in the wrong direction. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-5-2020 14:08:47  #1739

Uwe wrote:

Looks like it was replaced with what someone had available to them. My slightly older J3, and newer J5 both have a legitimate 'TAB' keytop.

I think you are right.

Nice combination af Adler's you have. Overhere the J5 is known as the Gabriele 35. Do you know why the body design is so different from the other models in the series (J2 and J4 / Gabriele 10 and 25)?

01-6-2020 12:40:34  #1740

Laurenz van Gaalen wrote:

Do you know why the body design is so different from the other models in the series (J2 and J4 / Gabriele 10 and 25)?

When I look at the J5 I see a design that Triumph was using for its other portables at the time (it looks like a larger-sized Triumph Contessa).

Triumph and Adler began their merger in 1958 and design influences would have crossed over; however, I suspect it also has to do with their year of manufacture - and that Adler would have wanted to differentiate the J5 as being a premium model.

My J3 is from 1963. Your Gabi25 is likely a late '60s/early '70s model. My J5 is from 1971.

In other words, the J5 is a much newer model generation than my J3. It would be interesting to know when your Gabi was made to determine if it's from a generation that precedes the J5.

Board footera