You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-6-2020 12:13:57  #1

New Member Check-In...

Thanks for letting me join your discussion group.

Here is my small collection of portable typewriters.

I added this new AMC (aka Alpina) after these photos were taken this May 2020 :
https://i.imgur.com/7PbZ7nh.jpg

23-6-2020 12:38:49  #2

Re: New Member Check-In...

I really, really like the dust covers. And the typewriters too of course

23-6-2020 14:10:43  #3

My loverly wife of 38 years likes to sew.  We had poster-board cut-outs as mock ups and found we only needed 2 sizes to all the 7 portables.  Fabric was some nice left over Japanese fabrics we bought in a place in Berkeley CA (now closed down) and had fabrics left over from those projects 10-12 years ago.

23-6-2020 20:30:47  #4

And one of my favorite desserts...

24-6-2020 10:50:44  #5

I hope you're suggesting that the Underwood's colourway reminds you of tiramisu and not its type action... 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-6-2020 11:33:47  #6

Colors, of course.    My Underwood's action is not what I would call spongy...or delicate.

03-7-2020 20:37:57  #7

Got a new-to-me Torpedo 18s made in 1964 when Remington was revising the Germany Torpedo 18b with some plastic for the ribbon cover and the "coffee cup" type keys.  But this one is still all German, underneath.  Very snappy, precise, and can probably type faster than I ever can.

03-7-2020 20:42:53  #8

And I will have an Olympia SM7 in my home next week; coming out of Canada.  This one dates from 1961 and was originally shipped to Canada since the US Patent label was never placed on the back.  I like carriage-shift machines and this was the last for Olympia when they switches to basket-shifting for the SM8 and SM9.

04-7-2020 09:31:24  #9

And of course, a new shelving unit on order from Lowes's...Fleximounts made in the USA...but back-ordered until 8-30-2020 because the factory had shut down for Round No. 1 of Covid-19 protocols.  So my new shelving unit will initiall hold these 3 newer machines...PLUS leave me space for 3 more in the future.  Hurray !

04-7-2020 09:45:45  #10

Typewriters travel - sometimes a lot. The way to identify a SM-7 (and most other Olympia portables) originally shipped to Canada is by the manufacturer's plate riveted to the back of the machine. It would have "Olympia Business Machines Co. (CANADA) Ltd." written on it.

Machines imported into the U.S.A. were similarly identified. Those patent stickers (earlier modes used a decal) can come off or be removed and the absence of one doesn't mean there wasn't one originally there. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera