You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-8-2014 12:52:01  #1

Russian/Cyrillic Typewriters

Does anybody here know anything about Russian typewriters? I have a friend who speaks and writes a little Russian, for whom I would like to buy a typewriter for Christmas. Looking at this ebay ad, however, has me confused:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950s-Optima-Elite-3-Typewriter-With-Russian-Faux-Cyrillic-Font-Case-/121395016880?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c43b4f4b0

I know nothing about writing in Russian myself -- is this NOT the keyboard I should be looking for?

01-8-2014 23:56:41  #2

Re: Russian/Cyrillic Typewriters

Looks right to me, but then again I don't speak Russian. The Optima was made in East Germany, which was occupied by Russia, so it's a safe bet that it's what you're after. Thanks to Valiant I have an Oliver with a dual language (English/Russian) keyboard; maybe one of those would be more useful as a gift. You can only type in uppercase, but at least you can switch between the two languages:

And a type sample:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-8-2014 07:00:46  #3

Oh yes, that dual keyboard would be perfect if I found one, although I have a feeling I'll have to settle for just Russian. 

02-8-2014 15:30:35  #4

A friend of a friend came across this nice Russian typewriter and gave it to me as a present... Didn't have cause to use it for a while though and when I opened it recently, was a little bit dismayed to see it growing a lot of mould on the keys so I'll have to clean it with some alcohol.  Lovely typewriter though but amazingly heavy for a 'portable'...

"...as if you could kill time without injuring eternity".

Board footera