You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-7-2020 17:26:16  #1

Today's find. Remington-Rand Model 1

I found this locally today for next to nothing. I love it when people think all typewriters are worthless. 

Everything works well. The only issue of any note is the feet are hard as a rock. Still intact but real solid like stones. Its nice and light, and the keys are quite snappy. All the decals are perfect, and there isn't a scratch on it anywhere.

07-7-2020 00:07:44  #2

Re: Today's find. Remington-Rand Model 1

Hi RD

A vintage machine in this condition deserves new feet. See eBay item # 261212150848. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

07-7-2020 10:55:14  #3

Agreed. I have emailed Tony, and sent him photos. He is going to get me some. 

07-7-2020 10:56:34  #4

Anyone here have one of these?  Is your bell pretty wimpy sounding?  This bell is not very loud, and is more of a "donk" than a "ding".  It is very small. Is it supposed to be this quiet?

07-7-2020 17:35:50  #5

When the bell "hammer" is at rest it should be just a smidgen off the metal of the bell.  It should not rest on the bell.  The bell strike is like a chicken peck motion.

07-7-2020 17:41:06  #6

It pecks like a chicken, but it just isn't very loud, and it has no RING to it, for lack of a better word. 

08-7-2020 10:42:24  #7

I have one (the photo used for the forum's footer is of its keyboard).

The bell is not very loud, but it does resonate; I quite like it over extremely loud bells. A 'donk' sound appears to be a bell not vibrating properly - or at all.

The sound of a typewriter's bell can often be tuned. You can alter/improve it by checking the efficiency of the hammer action (make sure all of its components are moving freely and properly), adjusting where the hammer strikes the bell surface, adjusting the mounting of the bell itself, and sometimes even correcting the shape of the bell. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera