You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-7-2014 06:00:41  #11

Re: Just bought my 1st typewriter. Help with a Remington Standard model 5.

comma wrote:

Should I get nylon or cloth ribbon? Or does it not matter?

Nylon ribbons are cheap and easily available. I haven't looked for new cloth ribbons. Though there are silk ribbons available in some places and I rather fancy the idea of that, but they're not exactly cheap!

22-7-2014 09:14:11  #12

malole wrote:

comma wrote:

Nylon ribbons are cheap and easily available. I haven't looked for new cloth ribbons. Though there are silk ribbons available in some places and I rather fancy the idea of that, but they're not exactly cheap!

So in general cloth would be better?

05-8-2014 07:12:48  #13

comma wrote:

malole wrote:

comma wrote:

So in general cloth would be better?

Hi!  In general cloth ribbons are more durable, but also they tend to have a coarser surface that shows up in the printed letters, particularly when the ribbon is new or freshly inked. In general, the smoother the ribbon, the clearer and cleaner the printing. If you can find silk typewriter ribbon, by all means, get it! That was the finest ribbons available back in the day.

Board footera