You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-8-2020 01:25:01  #201

Re: Possible Acquistions Thread

I have a thing for electrics, and man, if I could ever get my hands on a Olympia SGE 40.

...I dont think I would want any other machine... 

But I would never have it shipped. So Im stuck waiting for one in mint condition to pop up near me...

Yea, never gonna happen 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

05-8-2020 08:06:04  #202

Hi all, I am looking to secure a Remington 3 in West Australia. I wonder if anyone has a view on this model of machine.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

05-8-2020 08:59:49  #203

Maschinengeschrieben wrote:

... if I could ever get my hands on a Olympia SGE 40.

I've got a 35 and a 50/51, and I'd trade both for the 40. You never know what will turn up; if there's one thing I've learned from buying typewriters, it's patience. Another is that very few want electrics, so there isn't the same demand and the prices haven't been artificially pushed through the roof.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-8-2020 10:25:59  #204

Uwe wrote:

I've got a 35 and a 50/51, and I'd trade both for the 40. You never know what will turn up; if there's one thing I've learned from buying typewriters, it's patience. Another is that very few want electrics, so there isn't the same demand and the prices haven't been artificially pushed through the roof.

I’m right now looking at an SGE 30. It seems to be in great shape; however, it’s located in Bavaria. I live on the other end of Germany. It might not be a 40, but its internals and exterior design is mostly the same.

I phoned an office machine repairman I know. His opinion was that the SGE 30/40 are rugged machines that would survive shipping as long as it’s well packed and the carriage is fixated. ​Do you think I should risk having it shipped? 

14-6-2021 14:10:00  #205

Maschinengeschrieben wrote:

I have a thing for electrics, and man, if I could ever get my hands on a Olympia SGE 40.

...I dont think I would want any other machine... 

But I would never have it shipped. So Im stuck waiting for one in mint condition to pop up near me...

Yea, never gonna happen 

If you don't mind driving to the Netherlands:
https://www.marktplaats.nl/a/diversen/schrijfmachines-en-typemachines/m1717093153-olympia-elektrische-typemachine.html?previousPage=lr

14-6-2021 15:03:21  #206

The deal with that SGE 30 never came through. Apparently the seller didn't have it anymore. I would never drive any further then 30 or so kms for a typewriter. It’s also not the exact model I’m after, and in pretty rough shape on top of that. I actually have an SGE40 on my Watchlist, but it is missing the paper insert lever. It has a half-space feature, which is interesting. Case in point: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/schreibmaschine-elektrisch/1778798750-168-1854

Even that machine would be way too far away for me to pick up. I’m pretty picky these days about what machines I get. As if I need another machine I won’t use clutter up the place. Typewriters are pretty cheap. Some models can be expensive but most cost next to nothing. The price you pay for a typewriter is less in dollars or euros, but more so the space you have to sacrifice to store them. That and of cause the time and work you might have to put into them. 

14-6-2021 17:03:34  #207

The SGE 50 is very similar mechanically to the SGE 40 as far as I remember.  The Achillies Heel of the 50 was the plastic shift cam, which used to wear around the pivot hole.  The cam would 'wobble' on each revolution, and eventually fail.  Since there are no new parts available, try to examine the machine before you buy.  If the cam wobbles from side to side on each revolution, walk away.  The machine will have a short life once this has started to happen.  Since the SGE 40 and 50 are really heavy, I cannot imagine that either would ship well.  The heavier the machine, the more its' weight works against it when the parcel is thrown around.

16-6-2021 20:29:45  #208

I don't know if it's a possible acquisition, but I really want an Oliver.
Phil Forrest

16-7-2021 18:35:35  #209

Looks like I'll be picking up another SM9 next week. Of course its 1/3 the price of the one I bought a few weeks ago because I didn't think another one would come up locally for at least a year. (I've seen none for 2+ years).  Oh well, I dont really need another one but for 20 bucks I couldn't pass it up. if I can sell the other one for 80, this one was free!

16-7-2021 20:41:59  #210

Fix them both up, find out which types the best and keep that one.
Phil Forrest

Board footera