You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-8-2020 15:26:25  #1751

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

I love working on my later Olympia SF (angular version). It feels really good to type on and works very well, but the platen may as well be made of a tungsten alloy. It quiets down when I put the machine on a pad (which I just made from a piece of masonite board and very high density self-adhesive 8mm heating insulation) but still is one of the louder typewriters I own.
As for shipping, I've taken a risk on two very LOW cost standard machines and had them shipped. One was a Royal KMG and the other a KMM-13. Only the KMG was damaged, but that was just a cracked right side platen knob, easily fixed with some epoxy and a day of curing time. I don't know if I would do it again though, unless the machine cost under $20 (like both of these did.)
Phil Forrest

03-8-2020 10:56:16  #1752

Phil_F_NM wrote:

I love working on my later Olympia SF (angular version). 

It sounds like you're referring to the SF De Luxe, which was introduced in 1959, only three years after the SF. It was actually sold concurrently for many years with the standard SF (and its many model variants). The De Luxe offered more features than the standard SF - but more important to me was that its design foreshadowed the yet to be released SM7 and SG3. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-8-2020 22:30:02  #1753

Uwe,
Yes, it is an SF DeLuxe.
Speaking of DeLuxe Olympias, I have a wide carriage SM9 on the way. 
Phil Forrest

05-8-2020 01:11:03  #1754

I am always looking for one of those, but every time something comes up its either too far away to pick up, in too-bad condition or one of the later models.

I really don’t like the look of the later Olympia machines, especially once they started putting their new Olympia international logo on them. The only exception I can think of would be the Monica Electric / Electric De Luxe. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

05-8-2020 08:52:48  #1755

Phil_F_NM wrote:

... I have a wide carriage SM9 on the way. 

They can be very handy, particularly for creating spreadsheets/tables on a landscaped sheet of paper. Pictures, of course, when it's in your hands. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-8-2020 13:02:35  #1756

Today my Olympia Splendid 99 arrived. Luckily It does not seem to have been damaged, and everything works like it is supposed to. Its condition is truly like-new, not a scratch on it. Even its platen still has a spring to it.

I must say, (even apart from the quite striking looks of this machine) this is by far the nicest ultra-portable I have ever used. Its key-action is fast and snappy. Bouncy like on a SM3 or 4. The machine is able to keep up with me even at full speed, which most ultra-portables fail to accomplish. It is pleasant to type on even for longer durations. All the controls feel solid and that carriage glides very smoothly and completely silently along. The print is exceptionally clear.

The only thing I dislike about it is the sound it produces while writing, which is very hollow and rattly. It Is also quite loud, but then again, most ultra-portables are. This is reduced greatly however by using a felt-mat.

Overall, I am very pleased, and I believe this machine will replace my 1954 Hermes Baby as my new on-the-go machine. The baby doesn’t stand a chance.

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

05-8-2020 19:42:36  #1757

Uwe wrote:

Phil_F_NM wrote:

... I have a wide carriage SM9 on the way. 

They can be very handy, particularly for creating spreadsheets/tables on a landscaped sheet of paper. Pictures, of course, when it's in your hands. 

Of course, now that I will have two Olympias from the same era, SF DeLuxe with script logo, and SM9 DeLuxe with script logo, it goes without saying I'm going to have to find an SG3 with the script logo as well. 
Phil Forrest

07-8-2020 09:38:40  #1758

Ok... so what does one do after a new exciting purchase, once one's spouse has exhausted her capacity to show the light of recognition within her bright eyes?
Well, of course, one places a post On Typewriter Talk.
48 hours ago, I secured the purchase of a Remington 3, V334080, manufactured 1930.
The machine had been fallow for many decades, very dirty on the inside, resplendent on the outside.
   firstly, after some research and examination, I discovered that the machine was completely intact. I soon discovered that there was no way to determine how to operate it, and so downloaded a user manual from: https://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/Remington3.pdf
Within minutes, I discovered that the machine was able and willing to follow my every command albeit a little slowly.
A long story short, after a night's sleep, cleaning with air compressor and an ether based product here in Australia called "Start Ya Bastard", the underside was free of dirt dust and grease. Regardless, things were still stiff and uncomfortable, as one may feel after several weeks of sleeping showerless by the seaside living on nothing other than hand caught fish.
The solution was to break with convention, and lightly lube the segment with wind instrument key oil.
Success... to a point. The under workings were also resembling the arthritic results of decades living on salty fish and salt water.
An American product called Inox is well known to we cyclists here, as an inert non dust attracting light lube.  a gentle spray and all is working well. Ideally, oily lube is to be avoided I have learned, however getting things moving and limiting corrosion is al;so important. In the future, cleaning the light lube off may be a part of the progress to perfection...
   At this stage, I am delighted to announce to all that the Remington 3 has brought pleasure and wonderment to this new member of this valuable and informative form.
Thank you for reading, well wishes to all.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

07-8-2020 09:42:09  #1759

Darn, can't blame spell check: last word: forum.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

08-8-2020 20:48:34  #1760

The SM9 DeLuxe arrived today. In excellent condition, but I think no one had ever cleaned the type slugs, since 1966. There was a good amount of very hard ink clogging the slugs but that's cleaned now. After a few hours of cleaning here and there, removing the platen and rollers, hitting them with some rubber rejuvenator, it turned out to be a really nice machine. Typing on it is a bit loud though, in spite of the platen being nice and soft. It has a high pitched "thwack!" to each keystroke. I think that is partially because the platen is hollow and allowing the sound to resonate. I'm going to try using a couple sheets of paper to see if it quiets down. I'm just used to the sound of the Remington Noiseless 7, which is very nice. Anyway, Here's a link to a photo of the SM9 next to my SF.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/492387-2/IMG_20200808_191838995.jpg

Phil Forrest

Board footera