You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-8-2020 20:50:17  #1761

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

I forgot to mention that the transparent plastic paper scales were pretty much broken off, so I finished the job and made them even. I'm going to be searching for them now.
Phil Forrest

09-8-2020 01:30:19  #1762

Phil_F_NM wrote:

The SM9 DeLuxe arrived today. In excellent condition, but I think no one had ever cleaned the type slugs, since 1966. There was a good amount of very hard ink clogging the slugs but that's cleaned now. After a few hours of cleaning here and there, removing the platen and rollers, hitting them with some rubber rejuvenator, it turned out to be a really nice machine. Typing on it is a bit loud though, in spite of the platen being nice and soft. It has a high pitched "thwack!" to each keystroke. I think that is partially because the platen is hollow and allowing the sound to resonate. I'm going to try using a couple sheets of paper to see if it quiets down. I'm just used to the sound of the Remington Noiseless 7, which is very nice. Anyway, Here's a link to a photo of the SM9 next to my SF.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/492387-2/IMG_20200808_191838995.jpg

Phil Forrest

Congratulation on that SM9. Looks like you’ve got a bit of a family reunion going on. The SM9’s are excellent machines, still looking for one with a wide carriage myself.  

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

12-8-2020 15:22:05  #1763

Are the rollers on the paper bail of the SM9 supposed to be just hard plastic? Mine don't have ANY grip to them at all and appear to be juse hard, slick plastic.
Phil Forrest

12-8-2020 15:41:28  #1764

I think so, my SM8 and SM9 have the same hard plastic rollers.

12-8-2020 19:13:23  #1765

Laurenz van Gaalen wrote:

I think so, my SM8 and SM9 have the same hard plastic rollers.

Same here, hard matte-finish plastic. And why wouldn't they be? Cheaper than rubber and they do not need to grip anything, just not retard the advance of the paper. Many later typewriters have paper bails with no rollers at all, just a heavy wire across to hold the paper down.

31-8-2020 13:09:17  #1766

Back in the 80s I used an IBM Selectric II that I gave up in 1988 when I got a PC.
Or so I thought.
While searching through a closet, lo and behold, I found that typewriter!
I've no idea yet if it will start, but I know of at least one repair service in my area for antique machines.
My other (working) typewriter is a Brother ML-100.

15-9-2020 07:17:15  #1767

Found on the Dutch online marketplace. Just delivered by the mail. Needs a lot of work but seems functional. Very happy with it. More soon.

15-9-2020 13:53:56  #1768

Very nice, Lau. I'm looking forward to more photos. I'm not all that familiar with Halberg, but one glance at the Junior reveals that it's the predecessor of the Royalite. I'm assuming it's an early-to-mid '50s model. I believe that Royal bought out Halberg around that time, so it will be interesting to know its serial number. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-9-2020 14:37:07  #1769

Thanks Uwe. I 'll post some photo's and a review when I am finished working on it. The serial is 02957, according to the TWDB it is from 1952. The typewriter is in bad shape, so it sits already disassembled on my work bench. First impression: extremely basic machine with flimsy parts, but thanks to it simplicity very easy to service. From engineering perspective for sure interesting.

12-10-2020 09:32:43  #1770

Hi all, 2 days ago I managed to acquire a 1950 Lettera 22 serial; S643791. After using extra cutting polish to remove the extensive carbon paper stains, and dusting out the mechanism, it is in pristine condition. I am delighted, I believe I have found my ideal portable.
 I wonder if anyone knows: The serial is said on the TWDB to be early if it has the prefix S. However, I have seen earlier machines (number wise) which do not have that prefix. This machine was assembled in Great Britain. Does anyone know how the "S" relates to the dating?

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

Board footera