You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-7-2020 08:36:08  #1

Oliver 3. Removing left hand platen knob......

Hello people,
I have been gradually bringing an Oliver 3 back to life from a very poor condition. Its looking a lot better now and even types ok (considering its original state!).
Now what i need to know is, how do i remove the left hand platen knob? The reason for doing this is that the internal spring has either completely flattened or broken to pieces, either way it is no longer working, so i need to get inside the contraption and replace it.
Any help would be appreciated as i do not want to attack this and cause more damage if possible.
Thanks very much,
Alan.

14-7-2020 04:45:59  #2

Re: Oliver 3. Removing left hand platen knob......

Wow,
So it appears that i'm not the only one having problems trying to work out how to remove the platen knobs. There are holes in the knob, but they are not screws and as they do not continue right the way through the knob i can't see that they are split pins that can be pulled out!!
There is probably a stupidly simple answer, but i can't see it right now.
Again, any help, ideas would be appreciated,
Alan.

12-8-2020 06:27:56  #3

Wow, over 500 readers of my initial post and nobody knows how to remove the platen knobs on an Oliver 3. Is nobody going to rise to the challenge?
Alan.

14-8-2020 02:49:05  #4

I have never attempted to dismantle one of these, but I do know what you are talking about.  I think that it might have been assembled in the factory and then a pin driven into the hole.  I can't see what else it could be.  If this is the case, I would drill the pin out very carefully (and pray that it isn't hardened steel)  Before reassembly, clean up the hole and tap it with an appropriate tiny thread.  Although not original, it would make sense to tap out with a metric thread - there would be a better range of screws etc. available in metric.  Then screw a tiny allen screw in to replace the pin.  Please bear in mind that this is speculation, not based on having done the job myself !

19-8-2020 06:24:32  #5

Thanks for your reply and idea/suggestion. I will keep this in mind and if all else fails will give it a go.
Cheers,
Alan.

Board footera