You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-8-2020 23:55:46  #1

Adding Machines, Staplers and Other Office Machines

Greetings All

Was there a thread on adding machines on this forum? I've searched but can't really find anything. Would it be worth starting a sub-forum or a locked thread like The Fountain Pen page? My reason for asking is I did a clean-up and service on what I think is a 1950's Smith-Corona adding machine that had several parts stuck with dried out oil and grease. Do these machines have serial number, if so, is there any way of finding out the build date? Thanks and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

17-8-2020 10:32:41  #2

Re: Adding Machines, Staplers and Other Office Machines

It wouldn't be a problem to add such a sub-forum. I've been intrigued by adding machines, mostly because many were produced by typewriter manufacturers, but have avoided buying (more than one) because they didn't serve the same use to me as a typewriter.

I assume the sub-forum would need to be located within this group, perhaps under the existing Typewriter Paraphernalia sub-forum? And what would the title be? Ideally it would capture all of the other mechanical (or not?) machines that would have been used alongside typewriters.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-8-2020 23:54:13  #3

Hi Uwe

You make a good point as to where such a sub-forum should be, I think the idea of having it along side "Typewriter Paraphernalia" sounds quite reasonable. As for a name, how about "Companion Equipment" or "Vintage Office Equipment" or something along those lines.

Any interested forum members please chime in, I believe we're open to ideas and suggestions on this one. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.

18-8-2020 01:58:22  #4

If the subforum is not intended for staplers and the like, it might be a good idea to avoid the word "Equipment".
How about "Vintage Office Machines" or "Other Vintage Office Machines" to narrow it down a little more?

18-8-2020 03:33:40  #5

Yes, I would agree with Laurenz, to incorporate the word 'machines'.  By the way, if there is anyone on here who regularly collects add-listers, I have literally hundreds of different kinds of spools for these which I have acquired over the years as a by-product whilst buying in job lots of typewriter ribbons for their obsolete metal spools 

18-8-2020 08:34:57  #6

Okay, I've created the new sub-forum based on everyone's recommendations. Please let me know if anything should be changed. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-8-2020 17:50:59  #7

Perfect, Thank you Uwe

I'll be sure to post the story of my Smith-Corona Adding-Listing machine and the adventure of getting it working again.

Sky

19-8-2020 01:31:40  #8

Thanks Uwe. Another reason to find a mimeograph.

Board footera