You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-9-2020 17:01:39  #31

Re: If you could only keep a five typewriters from your collection....

I completely changed my preferences.
Olympia SM9 DeLux wide
Remington Noiseless Model 7
Olympia SF DeLuxe (angular 1960s version)
Smith-Corona Silent
Royal KMG

Phil Forrest

07-3-2024 19:48:44  #32

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this topic never gets old.

I have had over 40 typewriters cross my desk since 12/2022, but only 5 are kept in my personal collection:

1. 1959 Hermes 3000
2. 1954 Smith Corona Silent Super
3. 1958 Olympia SM3
4. 1965 Olivetti Lettera 32
5. 1959 Hermes Rocket

09-3-2024 08:38:25  #33

With 64 machines and all of them working well...I am sort of like my streaming-service when it freezes up...

09-3-2024 10:27:51  #34

That’s impressive, Pete! Especially since they are all working well and knowing that you also customize them too.

I have my first Optima Elite 3 coming today and I could see myself wanting to keep it, but if I do, one of the others will have to go, and that would be a tough decision. 5 is comfortable to me. I’ve tried more and tried less. 

if you had to, what would be your 5 keepers? I’m sure your answer has changed over the years.
John

09-3-2024 13:24:22  #35

Hi Jim,

Based on how my hands have been treating me this past year or so...my "last keepers" List wold be :

1. 1974 Olympia SGE-35 (Electric) 
2. 1966 Smith-Corona Electra 120 (Electric Type-bar) 
3. 1971 Facit T2 (Standard - Manual) 
4. 1963 Olympia SM7 (Manual) 
5. 1954 Princess-Matric (Manual)

Based on ease of use the day of typing and how my hands feel the next day...

09-3-2024 20:06:33  #36

John...my apologies for calling you "Jim" in my previous post...

10-3-2024 01:08:30  #37

No problem. I’ve been called worse 

25-3-2024 06:05:45  #38

1: Brother Deluxe 1350 (the first one i got)
2: Olympia Olympiette (my favourite machine of all)
3: Silver-Reed 70 (one of the best working machines i have)
4: Smith-Corona Ghia GT (sports car of typewriters)
5: Boots PT400 (another one which works really well)

To be honest the first 3 are immediate pics, after that it gets a bit more difficult so tomorrow 4 and 5 might be different.

16-4-2024 12:25:52  #39

Easy question, because I only allow myself to have 5 machines at a time as a rule. Those machines currently are:

1968 Olympia SG3 L (manual standard)
1957 Olympia SM3 (manual portable)
1955 Smith-Corona Skyriter (manual ultraportable)
1976 IBM Correcting Selectric II (electric)
1984 Sharp PA-1000H Intelliwriter (thermal electronic)

The SG3 is my current love. It's been fully restored bit by bit over the course of months, including a platen and roller refresh. The lovely elite typeface that works very well with how addicting it is to continuously bang away on; the more room I have on the page to type with this thing the better. It's the first machine I ever owned that makes me want to never stop writing. The only way this monster leaves my collection is if I find an SG1 which checks all of the same boxes and comes up for sale locally, in good condition and also cheap... and even then I'd have trouble.

The SM3 is the underappreciated middle child. It was my daily driver (and only typewriter) for about 5 years until I got the SG3 up and running, but recently I've gotten jaded with it. It's not like it's a bad typewriter or anything, but what do I need with a good portable when I have an ultraportable and an even better standard?  I do love the 11cpi Congress Elite typeface it has, and that's half the reason I haven't sold it off yet, but this would probably be my first pick to drop if I needed to open another slot.

The Skyriter is a sentimental machine. It belonged to my grandparents, and was the first typewriter I ever used. It's also in good working condition and a surprisingly nice typer (although I cannot seem to get the print 100% even and it bothers me to no end.) When I want to type somewhere that isn't my desk but is still around the house, this is what I typically use.

The Selectric is the odd man out. It's a basket case thrift store special, currently in pieces on my work bench. For some people that might make it curb fodder, but for me it's a fascinating project. I've learned a lot about these amazing machines over the last few months and am finally working up the confidence to pull out that cracked center hub. Changing the clutch on my car was more straightforward than this job. What a ride. The IBM Selectric.

The PA1000H is an amazing and underrated "on the go" machine. I use it with thermal paper whenever I'm traveling. The only machine I own that passes the moving car test, it sips batteries and has satisfying Alps mechanical key switches. Its Achilles heel is a bespoke 80 character display that seems to be slowly returning to the dust of the earth... but for now it's a keeper.

Board footera