You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-9-2020 22:07:16  #1

Review of the Imperial 70

I was most interested in TheTypewriterMan's review of the 70 (http://www.thetypewriterman.co.uk/typofmon.php).
It's well worth a read, and having worked a while on one recently, I was delighted to see it.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

24-9-2020 03:42:55  #2

Re: Review of the Imperial 70

Well, it's nice to know that someone reads my monthly scribbles !  I often wonder if anyone reads them at all!  Still, keeps me amused 

24-9-2020 04:49:28  #3

Well, this enthusiast certainly does, as combing the internet reveals few sites with up to date information, so new posts are most welcome, particularly from an experienced technician.
 I suspect that many people remain silent observers, as evidenced by the high number of anonymous viewers of this forum.
 I was also delighted to read your review and explanation of the history of your own (more correctly your wife's) Hermes Ambassador. I constantly search for information on these machines, as I own 2 Ambassadors, a 1962 and a 1964. Yours is the spitting image of my 1964. Both machines, particularly the 1962 required a lot of work to put back in to service. I was fortunate to discover the adjustment which solved the skipping problem on both machines, located at the interface of the segment and the capture. It seems amazing to me that so many people only think of portables when the word (typewriter) is mentioned. The Ambassador brings sheer joy every time I sit before it (no worship, but close).

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

24-9-2020 07:34:31  #4

thetypewriterman wrote:

Well, it's nice to know that someone reads my monthly scribbles !  I often wonder if anyone reads them at all!  Still, keeps me amused 

I discovered them last week, very nice.

25-9-2020 16:15:06  #5

zoom wrote:

I constantly search for information on these machines, as I own 2 Ambassadors, a 1962 and a 1964. ... It seems amazing to me that so many people only think of portables when the word (typewriter) is mentioned. The Ambassador brings sheer joy every time I sit before it (no worship, but close).

I can surely appreciate your endorsement of the classic standard   typewriter, expecially from such a fine manifacturer, but the sheer bulk of a standard can intimidate everybody with a wife, and most people without.  Having one (or many) such dinosaur is a privilege reserved for landlords and  chateau owners in Europe.
I have fond memories of the few Olivetti standards I used in the past  (including  one electric old behemoth in high school, a strictly mechanical one in the office in the Army whose typical noise horrified my soldiers as it was used by other officers only to file reports to discipline someone, and one daisy still quietly  locked inside a room in our office, saved from scrap just in case  the unexpected happens) and few things can rival the experience.  Maybe only  the original IBM terminal of the 48xx mainframe , mutatis mutandis, had a keyboard of comparable bulk and great feel.

Board footera