You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-9-2020 04:26:48  #1

Help identifying my Imperial type / Model

Hi
I know nothing about typewriters, but I bought one in an auction in Lincolnshire some 35-40 years ago and it's been in the loft since then. It's in very good condition and I'm trying to identify exactly what it is (unfortunately I can't post any pictures yet as this is my first post).
From the pictures I've seen on the Typewriter Database my guess is It's a '50'. I've removed the carriage and stamped into the chassis under the carriage is RB181575 and on the carriage itself is stamped BK C 74

Can anyone assist in identifying it via these numbers?

Thanks Pat

28-9-2020 09:56:42  #2

Re: Help identifying my Imperial type / Model

Message to 'Zoom'
Hi thanks for your private message - I patiently typed out a thorough response and when I pressed 'send' it said I wasn't allowed to send a reply until I had three posts, and promptly deleted it! Sorry.

So to answer your question, yes it is an Imperial. It has the word imperial on the front, behind the keys and on the paper rest behind the platen. At the rear bottom it has the word Imperial and the following:- Manufactured by Imperial Typewriter Co Ltd Leicester & Hull, England..
It is a 'sit up and beg' style and on the casing at the sides are two recessed oblongs which , on older versions, I've seen they used to have glass panels (mine hasn't)

Hopefully if a reply counts as a post I will soon be able to post and image!

Thanks Pat

29-9-2020 06:05:10  #3

Hi Golfer, any post is rated as a post, so one more, and you are up and running!

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

29-9-2020 14:17:47  #4

Hi Zoom

Thank you!

Pictures on the way shortly!!

Pat

30-9-2020 12:45:00  #5

So, here are a couple of images to help with the identification please. (excuse the mess in the background - and why is the typewriter smiling at me?) 

Pat

30-9-2020 19:08:44  #6

Hi Golfer, thank you for posting pictures of your Imperial. It really does look very nice. Whilst there are many members of this forum who are far more knowledgeable than I, it certainly does look like a model 50 from the late 30's. The serial number and finish don't seem to match the information on the database. The finish seems to be the wartime finish, but the first letter of your serial number would suggest 1938. Regardless, the Z prefix appears to have started in 1940 (as well as the wartime finish), indicating that your machine is earlier than 1940.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

02-10-2020 10:46:42  #7

Many thanks Zoom - interesting stuff. I should possibly spend an afternoon when it rains next (that'll be tomorrow then!) taking more detailed photos instead of golfing.

Thanks again

Pat

Board footera