You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-11-2019 14:27:30  #31

Re: Which one: Olympia SF or Hermes Rocket?

Uwe wrote:

There was only one generation of the SF (two, arguably, if you count the DeLuxe) versus at least four generations of the Baby (Rocket), so which of these are you interested in for comparison?

Hi Uwe, there are at least two different SF's build. I have one form 1962 (beige with green platen knobs and shift keys) wich is equipped with the keyboard from the Splendid. My SF from 1969 (light and dark gray color scheme with the Olympia script logo in dark gray) has the keyboard of what later becomes the Traveller. Both machines do have a very different key action and at least the keyboards are mechanically different (you can tell the difference by comparing the shift-lock mechanisms).

21-11-2019 14:38:45  #32

I almost forgot, the first Travellers were called SF.
I see the following mechanical development in the Olympia ultra-portable line up:

1) First Splendid, with the MR-key at the 1-key position and the wire frame paper support
2) Second Splendid, with the MR-key near the shift-key and the normal paper support
3) Third Splendid, with redesigned margin system (transparent margin scale)
4) First SF with Splendid keyboard
5) Second SF with Traveller keyboard
6) Traveller

07-10-2020 17:14:50  #33

After having a chance to try a few Hermes machines, I decided on a 1965 Olympia SF.

I liked the solid feel on the SF and it types like a much larger and more substantial machine.  It weighs in at 9.3 lbs. without its case.

I did solve the "tinny" sounding nature of the SF.  I added felt pads to the ribbon cover and on the interior side of the removable bottom plate.

I also added felt wraps on the hard rubber bumpers of the space bar and also on the travel stops for the space bar.

It is a much more quiet and less "tinny" sounding machine, now.

08-10-2020 01:58:59  #34

Pete E. wrote:

I liked the solid feel on the SF and it types like a much larger and more substantial machine.

I wholeheartedly agree.

08-10-2020 02:18:21  #35

Correction on my post about the mechanical development of the SF.

1st generation SF (round body style) with the MR-key at the 1-key position and the wire frame paper support
2nd generation SF (round body style) with the MR-key near the shift-key and the normal paper support
3rd generation SF (round body style AND angular body style) with redesigned carriage back/margin scale and plastic card holders
4th generation SF (round body style AND angular body style) with longer carriage return lever, new keyboard with redesigned caps lock
5th generation SF (box-like body style) with radical redesigned body, carriage and case

The round body style machines came with various names: SF, Socialite, Diplomat, Splendid
The angular body style machines are always calles SF De Luxe
The box-like body style machines are called Traveller

15-10-2020 16:54:29  #36

Pete E. wrote:

I did solve the "tinny" sounding nature of the SF.  I added felt pads to the ribbon cover and on the interior side of the removable bottom plate.

I also added felt wraps on the hard rubber bumpers of the space bar and also on the travel stops for the space bar.

It is a much more quiet and less "tinny" sounding machine, now.

Interesting. I have a nice Splendid 33 , third-generation round style with plastic paper holders, amazing to  use but remarkably loud with a metallic tone as described.   This by no means makes it inferior  to her 'competitors' in my portable  lineup but  knowing that this muffling technique works is very interesting.

22-12-2020 12:24:12  #37

I really like the later generation Olympia's and own two SM9's along with a SG3. A SF De Luxe would round things out perfectly. Some day I'll seek out an example just like the image that Pete E has posted previously as this is one of the few remaining machines on my typewriter wish list. To my eye they are beautiful little typewriters.

23-12-2020 08:50:47  #38

Here is my Olympia SF Deluxe and its biggeer-brother, Olympia SM7.

The SF weighs in at 9.8 lbs. without its case weight while the SM7 weighs in at 15.2 lbs. without its case weight.

24-12-2020 04:28:53  #39

That's a great looking pair, thanks for sharing!

07-1-2021 21:59:01  #40

Laurenz van Gaalen wrote:

Correction on my post about the mechanical development of the SF.

1st generation SF (round body style) with the MR-key at the 1-key position and the wire frame paper support
2nd generation SF (round body style) with the MR-key near the shift-key and the normal paper support
3rd generation SF (round body style AND angular body style) with redesigned carriage back/margin scale and plastic card holders
4th generation SF (round body style AND angular body style) with longer carriage return lever, new keyboard with redesigned caps lock
5th generation SF (box-like body style) with radical redesigned body, carriage and case

The round body style machines came with various names: SF, Socialite, Diplomat, Splendid
The angular body style machines are always calles SF De Luxe
The box-like body style machines are called Traveller

Wondering about that redesigned caps lock on the 4th generation SF. I have a super clean, near-mint one, with script typeface, but with the caps lock key engaged it allows the carriage to drop downward enough from the fully shifted position that it's printing only the bottom portion of the top character, and the top portion of the bottom character. I have loosened an adjustable plate that allows for up/down adjustment in the stopping point of the shift lock mechanism, but it doesn't move enough to get correct caps lock adjustment. Any thoughts/advice? Thank you.

Board footera