You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-10-2020 20:46:35  #1

1934 Smith Corona Silent - Mainspring Is Blocking Advancement

Howdy...I'm restoring an old typewriter similar to what I learned on.  But, my main problem is...the mainspring sticks up in a particular position so it's rubbing against the carriage "teeth" (for lack of a better word).  It won't advance once it gets to that particular spot.  I can't see any bent metal that holds the mainspring, but there needs to be space between it and the "teeth" so it can advance freely.

I don't know how to upload a photo...I'm a newby.  Any help in this regard (or the mainspring for that matter) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance... 

04-10-2020 14:35:12  #2

Re: 1934 Smith Corona Silent - Mainspring Is Blocking Advancement

Hi Pattrish, welcome to the forum.
See Type Talk > Typewriter Talk FAQ - PLEASE READ THIS FIRST! for more info about posting images.
Greetings, Lau

08-10-2020 14:40:34  #3

Thank you for your information.  I have set up an account to share photos.  I will go to your FAQ page for further information.  Now, I need to make one more post so I can post a photo of my problem...

08-10-2020 14:57:35  #4

Here is a photo of the problem I have.  The mainspring wheel is touching the rail, so the typewriter won't advance.  Any idea what is causing this.  In most repair videos, the mainspring sits lower.

08-10-2020 14:58:10  #5

Here is a photo of the problem I have.  The mainspring wheel is touching the rail, so the typewriter won't advance.  Any idea what is causing this.  In most repair videos, the mainspring sits lower.

Board footera