You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-10-2020 09:10:54  #1

Possible Corona Standard purchase and known issues

I recently found a Corona Standard, maybe 2C, late 1930s or early 1940s,  that might have a couple of issues (some of these maybe general typewriter issues too). I am new to typewriters so I cannot tell.

I was sent a video, but not a lot could be determined from it. Thought I'd write to see if anyone had any thoughts.

1.- The video I was sent shows a couple of stuck keys. Cannot determine if segment is dirty or if there is something else wrong with the keys. Except for two or three keys, the rest work fine. Not sure about the space bar though. 

2.- The second issue may be the worst. The video shows no visible movement of the carriage as the machine is being typed on. Is this caused because the carriage is locked or is that definetely a sign of a greater problem ?

3.- I was also told ribbon spools were not moving as it was being typed on so that may involve an issue with the ribbon spools or ribbon reverse mechanism ? On this particular Corona, could that also be caused because the carriage is locked, so the ribbon does not move as well ?

It would appreciate any feedback !

Thanks !!

08-10-2020 14:52:16  #2

Re: Possible Corona Standard purchase and known issues

There a several very good vintage Smith-Corona repair videos on YouTube.  You may be having problems with the mainspring (item #2 in your post) and need to replace the cord that moves the carriage when typing.  Not sure if it's allowed or not (I'm also a newby), but look for Phoenix Typewriter videos.  

Once the carriage situation is solved, then work from there on your other issues.

I have a 1934 S-C Silent and if it weren't for these videos, I wouldn't have made any progress.

Good luck! 

08-10-2020 15:52:27  #3

Thank you Pattrish for your reply !

I'll take a look at the YouTube videos you mention. Although I'm tempted to get that Corona Standard, I'm not so sure about opening it up, I'm afraid of damaging it. 

My only doubt about getting it is spending twice or three times as much worth in repairs. Then I think, when is the next time I'll see a 1930-1940s Corona Standard for sale?

08-10-2020 17:55:26  #4

Since you still haven't purchased the typewriter yet, I guess my question would be how much they're asking for it?  I don't need to know the price.  It's just a matter of if it's a good deal or not.  If you're on Facebook, there are Vintage Typewriter groups.  They mention pricing on occasion.  Many get theirs at very low prices, so sending it off for repairs is worthwhile.  But, in your case, you need to decide if it's worth what they're asking.

As for repairing it yourself, it's a challenge but very rewarding.  I bought mine from eBay and actually paid too much.  It was NOT as represented.  But, it's the type of typewriter I learned to type on and I wanted it.  And, I like the challenge it presents.  I'm 80 and if I can do it, anyone can.  I do have a particular problem right now, but, hopefully, I've found a video that may help.

Let us know what you decide...

16-11-2020 16:29:25  #5

Thank you Pattrish !

I finally got the Corona Standard! It's a beauty ! I 'll have to post pictures.... I think it's worth fixing.

It's got several issues, some probably still unknown: 

1.- Stuck type bars - I tried mineral spirits. Apparently someone used some kind of oil on it. The mineral spirits got rid of a lot of the oil but some typebars are still stuck...

2.- Loose / disconnected type slugs - I tried connecting them. I was able to connect some of them again, but I still have maybe 3 more to go.

3.- The right gear of the spool mechanism is missing - This was evident from the start. I'l have to find a replacement or (probably) order another gear and mechanism. (I will have to post pictures of this to get a clear idea of what is wrong.). 

dan_typester

17-11-2020 10:55:25  #6

Congratulations on getting your typewriter! 

Getting keys unstuck takes patience (as you probably well know).  I worked on each key separately...all joint pivots, etc.  But, pay particular attention to that slotted area where each key lifts to strike the ribbon.  It seems that area can really collect dust and grit (as least mine did).  I'm allergic to mineral spirits, so I used 91% alcohol. 

I hope you find the parts you need.  If you're a member of Facebook, I can direct you to a group that may be able to help you obtain parts or give advice.  They've been very helpful to me.

HAPPY TYPING!

Board footera