You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-10-2020 05:38:22  #1

Return Device on Remington Deluxe Noiseless

Greetings All -

I have a Remington Deluxe Noiseless that I would like to bring into working condition.  After I purchased it, the spring-loaded return failed (the strap failed due to dry rot).  I am unsure of the exact nomenclature for this piece.  I have researched it, and cannot find it in a parts list or in exploded diagrams.  What it the name of the failed part, and where can I purchase a replacement?

Thanks.

10-10-2020 12:29:28  #2

Re: Return Device on Remington Deluxe Noiseless

FCDAVIS wrote:

Greetings All -

I have a Remington Deluxe Noiseless that I would like to bring into working condition.  After I purchased it, the spring-loaded return failed (the strap failed due to dry rot).  I am unsure of the exact nomenclature for this piece.  I have researched it, and cannot find it in a parts list or in exploded diagrams.  What it the name of the failed part, and where can I purchase a replacement?

Thanks.

10-10-2020 16:11:12  #3

Hi FCDAVIS, and welcome.
The draw band can be replaced with fishing line, and I have seen it replaced with a suitable ribbon boot lace. Check out this youtube from Pheonix Typewriter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iskulsUu4VU
Good luck!

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

10-10-2020 16:21:23  #4

Hi again FCDAVIS,
in order to replace the draw band, whatever material you choose, you'll need to fit the fittings from each end of your original drawband.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

21-10-2020 22:17:14  #5

Thank you Platen Pusher (AKA Miss Brown!)

22-10-2020 19:30:26  #6

Hi FC

Here's where I like to differentiate between a draw band and a draw cord. To me, a draw band is a flat braded band and a draw cord can be a length of fishing line, saddle maker's linin thread or any other similar small diameter round cord.

Assuming your Remington had a draw cord as opposed to a draw band, I have had really good luck using Atwood Rope's Micro Cord for draw cords on most portable typewriters. The link I've provided is for olive drab which blends in with any typewriter, however I used Fireball when restringing my Remington Bantam with the coloured keys (click on green words to go to website).

If your unit has a flat draw band, I've read about members using a flat boot lace or runner lace to replace a broken draw band. Let us know how you make out with this project. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera