You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-10-2020 06:55:48  #1

Backing paper for old platens

Hi fellow enthusiasts,
of course, predictably, all of us to some degree are plagued by the problem of dry platens, specifically because many own more than one machine.
 I have yet to enjoy the pleasure of a re-covered platen. So, it's two layers of paper as the best solution. I found two sheets of ordinary paper inadequate. For a time, I've used blotting paper, but it is too stout, and too thin.
 I enquired with an automotive supplier about what seemed to be a thin silicon gasket material; without success. It turned out to be gasket paper. I had some in the draw, so I tried it, and it worked very well.
 Rebound is not improved, but the harsh hit is reduced without breakdown of the paper. Gasket paper is very durable and fibrous.
 So... that's it, apart from stretching it over a 90 degree sharp edge to soften it, which dramatically changes the stout nature of the paper.
 I'm quite excited about this discovery.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

09-10-2020 08:39:32  #2

Re: Backing paper for old platens

Oh brother! forgive me: *drawer*

15-10-2020 12:13:25  #3

I use a sheet of Avery Laminating Sheets and leave the peel-off backing paper on the sheet.  The plastic side of the sheet is in contact with my typing paper and it works well on my machines with hard & noisy platens.

I cut the laminating sheet to 8.5" x 11" size and once the sheet gets worn with impacts, I just throw it away and start with a new sheet.  Each sheet is 3 mils thick and provides a good "padding" to the typing key impacts.

I get mine in the office Section of my local Wal-Mart and sometimes on-line if the store is out-of-stock.

15-10-2020 18:55:12  #4

Thank you for sharing your solution to this universal problem, since my posting about gasket paper, I have realised that whilst it works well on my Ambassadors, it is to heavy for my smaller machines.
  I'll look to see if such a product is available in Australia.

Stay safe

15-10-2020 19:38:10  #5

Thank you for sharing your solution to this universal problem, since my posting about gasket paper, I have realised that whilst it works well on my Ambassadors, it is too heavy for my smaller machines.
  I'll look to see if such a product is available in Australia.

Stay safe

15-10-2020 22:31:43  #6

HI Pete E.,
 your explaining your use of self adhesive laminate as a backing sheet has resulted in an odyssey of experimentation this end.
 By using a thermal laminator to laminate 2 sheets of A4 paper and then trimming the edges off, I made backing sheets with one side of laminate. So you end up with the laminate between 2 sheets of paper much like your solution. The feed was a little fiddly, but successful, and the laminate is not damaged by the slugs.
 I subsequently discoverd that due to the soft nature of the gasket paper, my Ambassador was punching holes in the paper, so I did the same laminating with the gasket paper. As mentioned, this is not suitable for the smaller machines, but ideal for the Ambassador.
 I now have what appears to be an ideal solution for my small typewriters.
 Thank you for that.

Stay safe

17-10-2020 06:53:28  #7

I use clear vinyl cut to A4 size as a backing sheet. You can get various thicknesses at a craft store, inexpensive and sold by the yard. 

17-10-2020 07:06:40  #8

Thank you Gabby Johnson, I have subsequently found my solution of one sided laminated paper inadequate, as the feed is too difficult.
  I'm very pleased to have another option to try.

28-11-2020 21:52:20  #9

I've been using a sheet of neoprene, and additional paper.  From the platen outward, I have paper - neoprene - paper - paper.

I'm using 1/32"-thick neoprene, which is quite a mouthful.  But I don't detect any mechanical unhappiness on the part of the typewriter (a 1907 Underwood 5).

The neoprene I bought (eBay, but shipped from Grainger) is Duro ("Dura"?) 40A.  I think this is a little too soft.  The same vendor offers the material in 70A too, and might be better.

And, the neoprene is available in 1/64", 1/16", 1/8", and up.  A more cautious person might choose to try the 1/64".

Anyway; this goes a long way to relieving the annoyance of a hard platen.

30-11-2020 09:21:54  #10

Hi Rob in Middleton,
 your post is most interesting, as after having experimented with various papers and laminated backings, I had resolved to rely on 2 or 3 pieces of paper. Certainly the gasket paper I was experimenting with is far too heavy for any machine less powerful than my Hermes Ambassadors.
 I had been thinking of trying to get some silicon sheeting, but not found any to date. Neoprene had not entered my lisst of possibilities. I'll research further.
 Thank you for your post.

Board footera