You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-7-2014 15:18:07  #1

Help IDing the typewriter that goes to this Remington shipping crate.

Hi Guys. New here and to typewriters.
I have had this old Remington typewriter shipping crate in my family for a while now. At some point, someone had converted it into a box with hinges.

I am guessing it is from the early 1900s up until the 1930s.
I would love to know which typewriter went in this box so I could buy one.

Unfortunately, where the model number is is VERY faint. It appears to be an "18" but I know there is no model 18.
Looks like it could be a Model 10 or 16. Not sure.
If I can't figure out the exact model, I'd like something close, if it's possible to figure out the age/size of the box.

Measures 14.5" tall and 22" wide.

I appreciate any help!

11-7-2014 22:56:48  #2

Re: Help IDing the typewriter that goes to this Remington shipping crate.

It's looks like a Model 12 to me, not the graphic, but the number stamped on the box. The graphic is just a logo and I doubt it has anything to do with the machine the box held during transport. Even if you can figure out exactly which number it is, it would still be next to impossible to determine which exact Remington standard you're after unless you can read the data for all of the other fields shown on the box. Some of these machines were produced over a long period of time and included many variations during that time. Good luck! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-7-2014 23:22:36  #3

Uwe wrote:

It's looks like a Model 12 to me, not the graphic, but the number stamped on the box. The graphic is just a logo and I doubt it has anything to do with the machine the box held during transport. Even if you can figure out exactly which number it is, it would still be next to impossible to determine which exact Remington standard you're after unless you can read the data for all of the other fields shown on the box. Some of these machines were produced over a long period of time and included many variations during that time. Good luck! 

Thank you!
Not looking for the exact Remington, just ideally the model number so I can get a similar one. I'd like to get one to actually use, and I'd like to display it on top of the box.

Thanks!

Any other input is greatly appreciated.

11-7-2014 23:53:07  #4

Well, if you want to match the one in the graphic I think a Remington Model 10 would fit the bill, but otherwise you would probably have better luck finding a Model 12 in reasonably good condition.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-7-2014 08:14:52  #5

Uwe wrote:

Well, if you want to match the one in the graphic I think a Remington Model 10 would fit the bill, but otherwise you would probably have better luck finding a Model 12 in reasonably good condition.

Ya, I'd rather match the model rather than the graphic.
Are you pretty confident that would be a 12? Looking at it now I think you're right.

09-8-2014 11:46:48  #6

The machine in the red seal is definitely a Remington 10 - a "visible" typewriter with the ribbon spools located inside the frame, but without the metal covers on the sides and front. Here's a picture of such a machine:

The Remington 12 is a newer, improved version of the 10, and can be recognized by the metal covers on the sides and front, plus the different "medallion" of the color selector up front. This is a picture of my Remington 12:

Even easier to find (and quite newer than the 10 and 12) would be the Remington model 16, made in the 1930s. It looks pretty much like the 12, but with the carriage return lever located on the left of the carriage assembly (my machine must have been retrofitted with this newer design when it was "Rebuilt in Remington Factory").

Either model would go well with that crate.

Board footera