You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-9-2020 22:05:26  #861

Re: New Member Thread

G'day zoom, good to hear from you, thank you for the helpful advice. I will look a little closer at it. How is sunny Perth in September, cheers

15-9-2020 07:42:44  #862

Hey John, Perth today was picturesque in the extreme. Along with mid autumn, this is the best time of year.
Thank you for your reply, I see you are in AU also.
Take care.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

16-9-2020 05:17:47  #863

Hi zoom,

Seems like you have a few typewriters on the go.  What are your go to places for typewriters? Are they online or local stores? I was thinking that locally secondhand trader shops and markets might be the go or even garage sales beyond that I'm a bit stumped.

Us Aussies always have to say gidday on forums, can be few and far between.

17-9-2020 21:42:59  #864

Yes, quite so, it's valuable to be in touch with other Oz typewriter enthusiasts, particularly because we are so geographically isolated. As far as Perth is concerned, being the most isolated capital city in the world, local purchase is the only practical option.
  Remarkably, I have managed to acquire a surprisingly pleasing little collection:
1962 Hermes Ambassador
1964 Hermes Ambassador
1966 Imperial 70
1980 Nakajima (Chevron) electric/mechanical portable
1974 Adler Tippa
1969 Adler Tippa (script)
1930 Remington model 3 portable
1974 Olivetti Dora
I have sold 2 Remington Travelriters, 2 Japanese portables, a Halda 6, and a Brother daisy wheel.
 So as you can see, even in this limited market, the opportunities are there. I have purchased exclusively through Gumtree. Most of the machines required repair and cleaning, and so I have learned a lot. When I bought my first machine about 6 years ago (Adler Tippa), I was reluctant to even take the base off.
 The hobby has been consuming and delightfully entertaining. My main goal is to break even, and over the time, that has been achieved.
 In my opinion, too many people try to make money from typewriters, and as a result generally over price. The most expensive machine I have was the 1962 Ambassador @ $150. It took six weeks and many service hours to sort it out - the 1964 was much easier and better condition (I paid the seller double the asking price; $100 because it was well worth it in order to secure the purchase).
 I would be interested to hear of your experiences whilst indulging this fascinating endeavour.
Stay safe.

21-9-2020 18:59:30  #865

Hello! New here. 
I had several of my great grandparents' typewriters as a kid, used them and LOVED them. My mom sold them.
As an adult I'm an antique paper lover, crafter, snailmailer, scrapbooker, you name it- but it's 99% vintage.
So I've started collecting typewriters. I'm back down to one right now- and one more on the way. 
Looking forward to learning here mostly. I know virtually nothing.
"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm trying hard."
Suzy

21-9-2020 21:37:05  #866

Thanks zoom for your comments.

It certainly seems you have managed to do quite well in buying and selling them.

I think I got really lucky with my purchase. I went into it not really knowing what I was getting and managed to buy a working tyepwriter that just needed a new ribbon.

I've seen learnt enough from reading and watching that I was brave enough to pop the cover and give it a clean up although I suspect given the little amount of debri that it must have sat in its case in an internal cupboard or something inside a house rather than a garage. Lucky me.

We have quite a few secondhand type stores within a day trip from our house so over the next few months I hope to find a second machine for my son so he can leave mine alone!

22-9-2020 10:35:11  #867

Hi Suzy, and welcome,
as far as knowledge goes, I can attest that there are many members of this forum who are willing and capable of help with knowledge, from history and design to technical and repair/maintenance.
From my point of view, it is a great pleasure to see enthusiasts surfacing and joining the large numbers of enthusiasts who recognise the advantages of using typewriters.
Personally, I would be most interested in learning the typewriter you have and the one you are expecting, because following (to myself at least) the fascination of various machines for the person of the modern day is as important as following the development of the typewriter itself.
stay safe, zoom

29-9-2020 18:57:53  #868

Greetings and Salutations,

I'm very happy to have found this Forum. I'm a bit of a digital minimalist in orientation, so I try to spend as little time on the Internet as I can, but for this Forum I'll make an eager exception! Just by looking over the threads I'm seeing lots of useful info presented in a friendly and low key environment. How nice!

I took typing in High School in the Eighties, perhaps as part of the last generation to be instructed in "typing" rather than "keyboarding" (they were IBM Selectrics, but still...). I currently have nine typewriters: six portables and three standards, and I'm eyeing a tenth (a Facit TP1) that I may be acquiring this weekend.  

Living in Portland, Oregon, I'm pretty fortunate to have three typewriter repair shops (that I know of) in the area and a fairly good support system for our "peculiar passion." 

I've read all the Richard Polt typewritten anthologies and just started the new one, Backspaces. I subscribe to ETCetera, although none of the typewriters I have now are quite that wonderfully old.I do actually use my typewriters: I used my KMM to fill out a form that I sent out in the mail today. Other hobbies & interests include Letterpress & Amateur Journalism, competitive (old school) target shooting, Ham Radio, and Film Photography. I've been into vintage and analog stuff long before I got my first typewriter, but once I did I was hooked.

I look forward to "meeting" you all.

10-11-2020 02:22:05  #869

Hello,
I am from İstanbul, interested in typewriters for almost 1 year.. In that 1 year I acquiared 14 typewriters which I love all I really like people all over the world that are interested in typewriters, collectors, typewriter mechanics, sellers, buyers are sharing their experiences, goods etc in a platform. 
I really thank to person who created this forum (I think Uwe ). 

Best Regards

20-12-2020 14:49:07  #870

Hello all,

I'm of the last generation likely to have taken typing classes in high school via a typewriter. Yet I've only just become reacquainted with typewriters earlier this year after purchasing the first such machine that I could call my own (an Olympia SM9). Since then I have acquired a few more typewriters and have been learning as much as I can about these awesome machines. I type on a daily basis, primarily for the purpose of correspondence. I'm located in Portland, Oregon which is truly a great typewriter town as others have pointed out. I'm glad to have found this forum and look forward to learning more here in the future.

All the best,
Bill

Board footera