You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-3-2013 02:18:01  #1

Shangas' Guide to Buying Typewriters

http://scheong.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/buying-a-typewriter-what-you-need-to-know/

The link above goes to an article in my blog about how to buy typewriters. I wrote it when it occurred to me that there didn't appear to be any "Typewriters for Dummies" articles online (or at least, none that I could find). I post it here for the members of T.T., so that they can enjoy it. It's been well-reviewed, and I think it's been a big help to people so far. Certainly, my regular readers seem to like it. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

23-3-2013 11:35:06  #2

Re: Shangas' Guide to Buying Typewriters

Fantastic stuff. I only had a brief look as I wasn't expecting such a long article, but I plan to give a good read through tonight when I have more time.

Thanks for sharing that!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-3-2013 15:07:52  #3

Nice work Shangras!

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

24-3-2013 18:05:33  #4

Thanks everyone. I hope that posting it here will help other new members and collectors in buying typewriters. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

31-3-2013 03:57:54  #5

Shangas wrote:

http://scheong.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/buying-a-typewriter-what-you-need-to-know/

The link above goes to an article in my blog about how to buy typewriters. I wrote it when it occurred to me that there didn't appear to be any "Typewriters for Dummies" articles online (or at least, none that I could find). I post it here for the members of T.T., so that they can enjoy it. It's been well-reviewed, and I think it's been a big help to people so far. Certainly, my regular readers seem to like it. 

bookmarked!

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

06-2-2015 14:17:25  #6

I'm glad I read that article before I posted a question. Maybe that article should be part of an FAQ on the site?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

11-9-2015 11:37:26  #7

I just wanted to say I read this guide before buying my machine. It was very helpful. Thank you.

13-11-2020 15:02:01  #8

7-years late to this discussion...

The article-link is no longer valid and its author has not logged on to this forum since 2015.

Was this article saved/moved to another section of the forum ???

13-11-2020 16:26:11  #9

No, the content that was linked to was not copied to a post here. The onus of posting information here versus supplying a link to information hosted elsewhere is on the person who created the thread (topic). This situation is representative of the ephemeral nature of most internet sources; the wealth of information that appears, only to eventually disappear from the internet, is a byproduct of people having to continuously pay money to keep it visible.

Some of the best websites on the internet - resources that are the result of years worth of research and study - will likely be forever lost when its owner ceases paying the hosting fee. It's one of the biggest negatives of the internet; can you imagine a reference library with books that simply disappear off the shelves for no reason and without warning? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-11-2020 18:59:04  #10

Thanks, Uwe...I was afraid that was the case.  Many discussion forums loose photos and/or links to forums with multiple software version upgrades over time.  And when Photo-Bucket changed their "free" hosting feature to a pay/fee basis, lots of photos in many other forum discussions were lost to time.

Whatever I place on Imgur.com, I have those photo-files and other attachments on my local hard drives as well.

And I am in the habit now of cut & pasting an interesting and/or informative posting on a forum over to my word-processing application, again locally on my drives.

Board footera