You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-11-2020 18:15:22  #1

Case For Torpedo 18s - Sort Of...

My 1964 Torpedo 18s came to our home without a case.

Recently I noticed the case for my Olivetti-Underwood 21 is a perfect fit for the Torpedo 18s.

The case will need a bit of rework to add some velcro hold-down straps which can be removed as well when not containing the 18s.

The Torpedo 18s is quite the nice typing machine. It is all German Torpedo 18b under its skin. It weighs 14.4 lbs. without any case weight.

Remington had gone with its ribbon spool system and a plastic ribbon cover and the plastic "coffee cup" keys. 1964 seems to be the last year 18s were made in West Germany before Remington moved all production to Holland and went with more and more plastics in their evolving designs and production.

25-11-2020 13:49:08  #2

Re: Case For Torpedo 18s - Sort Of...

This brings us full circle: In another post it was mentioned that a typewriter repair shop regularly throws out travel cases, and here's an example of a typewriter without one. When it comes to portables, a travel case is an integral part of the machine. Even though I wouldn't actually use one for travelling - I use a more practical, well padded solution for that - they are still fantastic for dust-free storage.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-11-2020 14:52:17  #3

I agree. Cases also offer the possibility to store typewriters vertical.

25-11-2020 19:33:07  #4

The case for my machine at the time it was made was mostly constructed of thin plastic.  One good drop and hit, would do the case in.

Here are some photos of the correct case for my Triumph 18s, but I gave up hope for finding a "solo" case in non-cracked condition.

25-11-2020 20:53:48  #5

...Sorry...typo in my last posting...should have typed "Torpedo 18s"...

04-12-2020 09:35:16  #6

Since I have my machines on display shelves (with dust covers), I utilize my empty cases to store/house any spare parts I am fortunate enough to locate for that particular machine.  Placed in small plastic bags with a paper-note inside the bag listing for what the contents are to be used.

Board footera