You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-12-2020 05:31:11  #1

Voss ST24 Platen Removal

Hello,

I have a voss ST24 as sparr parts machine. And I need its platen to be removed.
I removed left platen knob by turning counter clockwise but right platen knob does not move at all.
Anyone could give me suggestions about removing the platen?
Thanks in advance

14-12-2020 13:51:36  #2

Re: Voss ST24 Platen Removal

Hi Emre,

You might try to make contact with the repair fellow in this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=462D-cYCLwM

And here is his on his FaceBook page  :

https://www.facebook.com/cbjustice

15-12-2020 03:11:30  #3

Thank you Pete, I will try to contact with him. 
Have a nice day!

07-8-2021 21:33:10  #4

Hello Emre and other readers of this thread.  If anyone has advice on how to remove the platen from the Voss Deluxe portable, I'd be much obliged.  Like Emre, I got as far as unscrewing the left knob, but have not made progress beyond that.  I'd like to get the platen on my Voss recovered.  Thank you!

09-8-2021 10:53:52  #5

Hi Everyone,  I found a link to a very helpful blog post that I think contains the answer to platen (and other carriage parts) removal on a Voss.  Appears that both knobs simply screw off, and the trick is to (safely) immobilize the platen.  This blog also contains a wealth of well-written and fun information about typewriter repair on a number of other models as well:

https://myoldtypewriter.com/2015/11/16/from-stone-age-to-space-age-the-blasted-voss/

09-8-2021 16:51:25  #6

I have now removed the platen on the Voss ST 24.  It is one of the easiest platens I have ever removed.  No set screws are involved.  Here is how I did it:

1. Hold the right platen knob firmly and twist clockwise on the left platen knob.  The threads on the left knob will release.  Keep unthreading until the knob is removed.  It will have an exposed metal threaded shaft attached, approximately 1.7 cm in length.

2. Engage the line spacing mechanism and move the carriage arm until it locks onto the right side platen gear.  With the platen thus immobilized, turn the right platen knob counter-clockwise.  The threads on the right knob will now release.  Keep unthreading until the knob is removed.  It will have an exposed metal threaded shaft attached, approximately 3.0 cm in length.

3. Release the carriage arm.

With both platen knobs and their attached metal shafts removed, gently lift the right side of the platen up above the right chrome plate.  With this clearance on the right side of the platen, gently pull the left side out of the line selector mechanism.

You now hold in your hands a Voss ST24 platen.

Those who wish to further disassemble the carriage area can continue following the instructions linked in the excellent blog post in the message prior to this one.

Board footera