You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-12-2020 13:14:12  #1

Airmail Paper

Greetings All

Forum member Booksniffer and I were having a conversation about what constitutes airmail paper. After doing some weighing and measuring of various vintage writing papers that were described a being airmail paper, I came to the conclusion that any paper weighting 50 grams per square metre (g/m²) can safely be called airmail paper.

I realize this number probably won't mean much to our American friends as this is a very European way of describing paper weights, therefore any bond or writing paper 14 pound or lighter can be called airmail paper. The really fine onion skin paper our parents and grandparents used (depending on your age) was between 34 and 37 g/m² or 9 and 10 lb. bond or writing paper.

The Paper Mill Store carries true onion skin paper and has a very handy conversion chart for figuring out paper weights. Depending on your country's postal rates, the cost of onion skin paper may or may not offset the postage saved due to the total weight of your letter/envelope combination.

For a quick conversion equation, the number 3.74 will give you a close approximation of paper weight;

Pound weight of paper x 3.74 = g/m²
g/m² ÷ 3.74 = pound weight of paper

All the very best for a good new year in 2021,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

09-1-2021 09:33:58  #2

Re: Airmail Paper

Thank you for starting this topic, Skywatcher!

I've been thinking about sacrificing one of my spare Traveler's Notebook refills; the ones with the extra-thin paper apparently contain paper that is (identical to) Tomoe River paper.
It is very thin and quite smooth; most fountain pen inks take rather a long time to dry on it.

Removing it from the booklet would give me square sheets of 21 x 21 centimeter.

I'm a bit unclear on the weight though; apparently, Tomoe River comes in 52 and 68 gsm.
I've read claims that the paper used for the Midori Travelers Notebook refills is the 68 gsm, but that seems rather heavy for such a thin paper.

Of course, it could be that it is thin, but quite dense - which would explain the difficulty it has in absorbing ink.
It would also mean that it wouldn't be that much of a benefit when it comes to sending lighter-weight letters.

09-1-2021 13:56:32  #3

Re: Airmail Paper

Hi Again

Just did some calculations re buying and redistributing airmail paper.

If I bought 5,000 sheets, my cost would be 12¢ Canadian per 8½" x 11" (21.6cm x 28cm) sheet. Selling price would be the same, I'm just interested in helping other forum members. 

Supposing a forum member in Holland wanted to buy 100 sheets, Canada Post says that to ship a package containing 100 sheets would cost $9.30 surface or $11.33 by air. A package of 200 sheets would be $12.75 surface or $22.17 by air. I haven't figured out the cost of shipping a ream of 500, but probably can if members are interested.

Postal rates and exchange rates change from time to time so these numbers may be variable. Do forum members living outside Continental North America feel this would be a viable option for obtaining airmail paper? Any thoughts or ideas, please let me know. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera