You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-1-2021 09:20:21  #1

Removing Vendex V 1000 (aka Erika 42) from case?

Yesterday, I bought a Vendex V 1000 (which, if I'm not mistaken, is a re-branded Erika 42).

It had been in the attick for years; works perfectly, even the ribbon still had some life in it (although I did replace it), but there was some dust and general grime on it.

I've used compressed air to blow out as much as possible, and I've cleaned the shell and the keys with a very slightly damp cloth (moistened with water containing half a tablespoon of dishwashing liquid per liter).

But, to clean it more and to make typing more comfortable, I'd really like to get it off the bottom of the case....
Is that even possible?

The rim of the case bottom is in the way, so I can't really see much, but the machine seems to be pretty firmly bolted to it.
There are no buttons, levers or clips that I can find that release it.

09-1-2021 12:54:02  #2

Re: Removing Vendex V 1000 (aka Erika 42) from case?

Hi Book

My initial research indicates that the later Vendex portables were re-branded Brother typewriters. However, if your older Vendex is a re-branded Erika 42, the best information I can find on that model is to lift the front edge, then slide the machine forward. It looks like there may be a couple on pins on the front edge that lock into a pair of rubber grommets in the base, or a pair of pins in the base lock into a couple of rubber grommets in the typewriter.

Anyone with a little more knowledge of these machines, please chime in. If the machine hasn't been removed from its case in years, these grommets may be a little on the stiff side. Any time I'm reassembling anything that entails rubber grommets, I always apply a dab of silicone grease (plumber's grease) to the grommet for ease of assembly and future disassembly. Hope this helps,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

10-1-2021 04:08:13  #3

If your Vendex is an Erika, it will initially have been attached to the carry case base by two large screws on the underside.  Many first owners fail to remove these screws so it could still be screwed down  Look for either two screw heads or two holes where the screws might have been.  If the screws are not there, then the machine is stuck to its base with age.  Four spikes in the carry case base go into holes in the typewriter's rubber feet to keep it in position.  If the machine has been standing for some years, the spikes stick in the rubber.  You will have to lever the base off very carefully and then lubricate the holes in the rubber feet with some silicone grease (not normal grease - this will attack the rubber).

10-1-2021 13:19:00  #4

My Erika 42 was well stuck to the base with the 4 spikes that thetypewriterman is mentioning, no screws. The spikes have ball ends and the rubber feet have to pop out from them. I would pull first the front side, been very careful as the front part has no metal structure and pulling only from the plastic front it is a bit risky but you will have more leverage in the same time. It probably wont come easily, dried rubber and lack of lubrication been the reason so you might want to have another extra pair of hands holding the base of the case.  

10-1-2021 15:47:07  #5

Thank you all for the advice!

Hmmm, yes, pulling on the plastic is rather tricky...
I might just have to keep trying a couple of times every day, carefully -perhaps bits will loosen up slowly then.

It's good to know that it *can* be taken off, at least in theory!

10-1-2021 18:18:04  #6

Hi Again Book

If you can get far enough between the typewriter and the base, it might be worth trying to give the joining parts a tiny spritz of silicone spray lube from a can with a straw attached as you work the unit up and down. Enough lube might make its way between the pins and grommets to aid in the pins eventually slipping out. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera