You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-10-2020 11:20:01  #1

Seeking reliable ribbon

I bought a Royal Caravan (looking at various pictures, I'd guess a mid-1960's model) on eBay, wow, I guess it's almost 2 years ago.  Solid machine, and works properly (the couple of times I've pulled it out) -- but as you might expect, the ribbon is pretty much spent.  I'd like to get a new one, but whenever I check, eg, Amazon, I see lots of reports of people who bought ribbons that were dried out, or spooled backwards, etc.

So, as a rank newbie to this hobby: could you tell me where to look for reliable ribbons?  I don't mind paying more for them than I'd pay on Amazon, if I know what I'm getting is good.

Thanks very much for your time and any assistance you can provide.

15-10-2020 22:49:10  #2

Re: Seeking reliable ribbon

Hi TW

If you are in the US, my recommendation for good wet ribbons in a rainbow of different colors as well as the ubiquitous black and black over red, is Ribbons Unlimited in Maryland. Lanie is very accommodating and can get you almost anything you need in the way of replacement ribbons. Most ribbons come on the standard 2" plastic spools, but you can also get metal spools. If your Caravan has the Royal Twin-Pak™ system, you can wind the ribbon into the cartridge, but it takes a little fiddling. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

16-10-2020 14:22:08  #3

I am indeed in the US, so Ribbons Unlimited sounds perfect.  Thanks very much, Sky.

19-1-2021 16:14:53  #4

I have been happy with Ribbon Unlimited and Lannie's level of service for more than 1 year now.  His silk black & red ribbons are consistent and print well on paper.  Always seem like very "fresh" stock.

Board footera