You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-1-2021 17:41:39  #1

Underwood Portable - carriage returns but doesn't stay there

(This is embarrassing, but I can't find the serial number anywhere on this machine. Can some kind soul help me out?)
Here's some photosof the problem -  video to follow.
Seems like it is missing something (a spring maybe) that lifts a catch that keeps the carriage from flying to the right-hand-side margin position.
Cheers!

20-1-2021 18:42:19  #2

Re: Underwood Portable - carriage returns but doesn't stay there

Octavius wrote:

(...I can't find the serial number anywhere on this machine. Can some kind soul help me out?)

The serial number is stamped to the left of the segment just behind/under the left ribbon spool.

20-1-2021 18:59:47  #3

Sounds like the escapement needs a good cleaning at first. 
Phil Forrest

20-1-2021 21:29:43  #4

SoucekFan,
Wow, thanks. Yes, there it was.  554713 - if I'm reading the database correctly, it's an Underwood Universal made sometime in the early 1930's.
Phil,
Do you have any links as to cleaning up the escapement on this model?
It arrived today from a Goodwill store.  They appeared to have had it working OK and now I'm worried it got dropped in transit and something has broken. As mentioned, the carriage does not center. I can center it by lifting "a catch" (shown in the video) but that doesn't solve much of anything. Am I missing something?
Cheers

20-1-2021 22:29:41  #5

I don't have any information on that machine aside from use good quality, sharp screwdrivers and don't rush it. I was watching that one but it got way too rich for my blood. Very nice though.
You're going to want to take off the case and be very gentle in cleaning it. Mild soap and water so you don't damage the decals and the green lacquer. Once you get the outside off, you'll have access to the whole chassis. You should probably take the platen off then the rollers, before you begin to really get in there. These underwood portables, like most mechanical typewriters, should last longer than you or I, and so I'm willing to bet it just needs a very good cleaning. Escapement rockers can hang up due to old, dried or sluggish lubricants. Deep clean then appropriate lube should bring that machine back. It's really a nice typewriter.

Phil Forrest

20-1-2021 22:52:07  #6

Phil,
Many thanks for the advice and encouragement.
Cheers!

Board footera