You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-1-2021 00:25:28  #51

Re: Which one: Olympia SF or Hermes Rocket?

My SF DeLuxe does that exact same thing and I choose to not use Shift Lock. I found the reason to be actual flexibility and incredibly small amounts of play in the various moving points of the mechanism from the Shift Key all the way back to the segment. I have that Lock button adjusted as well as it can be and I still have an error in what I get in line spacing from a normal use of the Shift key and Shift Lock. I've resigned myself to living with the issue.

Phil Forrest

20-1-2021 10:19:12  #52

I suddenly remember I had two SF's (3rd generation with the older shift lock mechanism) that had a small, flat washer around the shift lock adjustment screw, on the left side of the comb. The washer was placed between the comb and the shift lock adjustment plate, thus moving the plate a little backwards. Looking at your last video, that might be exactly what you need.

21-1-2021 13:48:48  #53

Thanks, Lau, I was imagining a similar solution. Removing that plate, and putting it back on -- with the addition of a screw between the plate and comb -- is a little daunting because of limited access, but I suppose doable. Will try something along those lines. Thanks again.

21-1-2021 14:07:44  #54

It might be easier if you position the typewriter vertical.

27-1-2021 19:18:19  #55

OK, we did it! The washer ended up not making any difference because the shift lock adjustment plate fits in between an inner and outer layer of the comb -- doesn't effectively move the plate any further backward or forward. But I removed the plate, flattened out the bend in it a little, and bent the lower portion of the plate back to put as much backward pressure on the shift lock mechanism as possible. Then I did one more tweak on the inside of the shift key arm to get it a little closer to the carriage shift contact point, and it holds the carriage in shift position without any movement back downward! Very pleased. Thanks for much for your help and encouragement, Lau, most appreciated. And thanks to Typewriter Talk for being here in the first place!

Cheers,
Doug

28-1-2021 00:02:34  #56

Glad you got your issue fixed, Doug.

Just a reminder to everyone, repair questions should be posted in the Maintenance & Repairs sub-forum so that threads remain on-topic. Thanks.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-1-2021 00:22:27  #57

Aack, didn't even notice what sub-forum I was in, having originally landed here in a search for Olympia SF info. Jumped in with tech questions and one thing led to another. Duly noted and thanks!

28-1-2021 10:33:24  #58

Glad you were able to solve the problem. Your SF looks great!

After reading your last post I started to doubt my own memory concerning the location of the washer. I called the current owner of the SF to ask for it. I was wrong, the washer was in front of the comb. Next time I will do a better job of fact checking.

Board footera