You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-1-2021 20:24:44  #1

Hermes Ambassador margins will not set

I pulled my Ambassador out of the closet and went to type on it, and I find the buttons for setting the margins do not set the margins.  I wonder if I knocked something loose underneath? I don't see anything obvious.

any ideas?

22-1-2021 04:17:39  #2

Re: Hermes Ambassador margins will not set

I know that this sounds obvious, but it is likely that the margin set buttons got pressed accidently in storage, sending both margins to the centre ?    If this is the case, you just need to 'find' them and pull them out to the edges of the paper using the set buttons.  Other than that, is there any possibility that the machine got damp and the margins have rusted to the rack ?  It wouldn't be the first time that this has happened.

22-1-2021 11:22:43  #3

I got the left one to move and it is set where I want it, but I can't make the left one move. It is all the way to the right, set about an inch from the end of the carriage travel. So it is way off the page.

22-1-2021 11:23:26  #4

Sorry, I meant that the RIGHT one will not move.

22-1-2021 14:11:17  #5

If one margin stop is frozen with gunk or rust, a small shot of PB Blaster should help loosen it up.  If can wrap the stop in a small piece of cotton rag, soak it with PB Blaster and let it do its thing for a half a day or so.  Once you are able to get it free to move, you can use denatured alcohol  to get rid of the smell of PB Blaster, followed by drying with compressed air.

22-1-2021 14:51:41  #6

Not sure I can see where it is.

23-1-2021 14:08:43  #7

Can anyone tell me or show me a photo of the actual part that is the right margin stop? I'm trying to avoid taking the carriage off until I have an idea what I will be getting myself into.

23-1-2021 19:49:22  #8

Do not have such a machine in my collection...so can offer very little help.

But this You Tube video by Duane Jensen of Phoenix Typewriters offers a nice overall orientation to the machine.

Looks like they have "magic margin" setting buttons like some of the Royal machines have.
https://youtu.be/od4efXsPsNI

23-1-2021 19:51:57  #9

I saw that.  I guess one of these days I will have to dive inside and see what the deal is. Kinda scary on this beast.

Board footera