You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-1-2021 20:22:25  #1

Bichrome Ribbon

My 1909 Underwood has the red/black selector for use with the standard bichrome ribbon. I'm wondering what the red was traditionally used for as personally I've never used it, but it comes standard on most typewriters of this era?  I'm guessing it had some accounting purpose, but haven't found anything in my search explaining it. Also curious how many on here actually use the red setting for anything, or is it just a redundent feature?  

29-1-2021 04:23:01  #2

Re: Bichrome Ribbon

Red does have an accounting purpose.  Any negative figures are shown in red.  The red underscore can be used for emphasising something - for instance when typing an address, For the Attention of : F. Bloggs  There are many other examples, these are just a few.  And finally, if you fit an all-black ribbon, by leaving the setting on red, you can use up the bottom half of the ribbon once you have used up the ink on the top.  Early Royal flat bed typewriters had the ribbon control marked 'Upper' and 'Lower', not 'Black' and 'Red' implying that this was the real purpose of the ribbon control.

29-1-2021 21:43:53  #3

Thanks for the reply, I'm a traditionalist, so will likley keep using the red/black as Underwood intended. Much like keeping my vintage MGB a four cylinder four speed, despite pressure to install a Rover V-8 and five speed, or even (Gasp) a Miata drive line. Regarding the bichrome, I've also seen them in green/black. I'll assume it's much the same thing as the multiple color options offered for the IBM Selectrics back in the day. 

30-1-2021 10:57:16  #4

Underwood09 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I'm a traditionalist, so will likley keep using the red/black as Underwood intended. Much like keeping my vintage MGB a four cylinder four speed, despite pressure to install a Rover V-8 and five speed, or even (Gasp) a Miata drive line. Regarding the bichrome, I've also seen them in green/black. I'll assume it's much the same thing as the multiple color options offered for the IBM Selectrics back in the day. 

Thanks for keeping your MGB original and honoring the original designers! Vive la History!

Regarding the bichrome, ribbons are currently available in a wide variety of color combinations, but I'm confused by your reference to "multiple color options offered for the IBM Selectrics". Selectrics never had bichrome ribbons and to change colors you changed out the whole cartridge. This is nothing at all like bichrome ribbons. Or do you mean something else?

30-1-2021 15:11:10  #5

I did, I was referring to the many options in color for the Selectric, I remember being fond of the brown for some reason. Maybe as it was when desktops still had only amber or green text, it was the novelty of being able to change a cartridge and getting another color. Same with the ability to change the ball for different fonts. It all still seemd so high tech back in the early 80's. ;-)

Board footera