You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-2-2021 16:31:45  #1

Royal KMM U.S. Army Air Corp

Hello folks,

New guy here. I don't collect typewriters but I do enjoy using vintage items whenever I can for my daily activities..and I do collect militaria.  I have a small business and I am designing my office with a 1940's theme.  With this goal in mind I began looking for a vintage typewriter.  I came across this typewrite on FB marketplace and it fits in perfectly with my office and military collection.  

It appears to me to be complete, in nice condition, and it types great.  If my research is correct, according to the SN, it was manufactured in 1942. 

I can't find any information on Army Air Corp marked machines.

The SN has a #12 prefix.  What does this mean? ​

Any information that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Best,
Robert.

can you have 2 betta fish in one tank

01-2-2021 17:22:14  #2

Re: Royal KMM U.S. Army Air Corp

Hi Robert

A quick check of the serial number indicates this machine to be a perfect fit for your office. The KMM indicates this machine has the Magic-Margin feature (quick-set margins). The 12 in the prefix indicates a 12" platen and the rest of the serial number puts this as a 1942 machine according to The Typewriter Database.  Hope this helps,

Sky

PS. ​I have the little brother to this machine, KMM-3556607 (1948), no number in the prefix so it's the standard 10" platen.

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

01-2-2021 18:23:47  #3

Thank you very much Sky.. I appreciate the info.  I've read that the 'Magic Margins" are often a problem with these but mine work perfectly.  

Any information on the US Army Air Corp markings?  They seem to be uncommon as I can only find one other marked this way on the internet. 

Thank you again.
Best,
Robert

01-2-2021 18:38:59  #4

Hi Again Robert

The only problem I've ever heard about the Magic Margin system is when someone who doesn't understand them presses the button to see what it does, then can't get the carriage to move more than a few spaces. This is especially true if the unit is used as a show-n-tell in a grade school classroom situation. They might also give trouble if they get very dirty or start to rust.

As for the U.S, Army Air Corps, the card legend on the right shift key could be special ordered from Royal or Ames and other advertising legends were also available from various suppliers. However, as you say, this one is a very purpose specific one and is one I have never seen before. I'm hoping that some of our other members with more experience under their belt than me can possibly shed some light on this. All the best,

Sky 

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

01-2-2021 18:44:42  #5

Thank you again very much Sky.. Interesting information.

Best,
Robert

02-2-2021 08:35:39  #6

Any speculation as to what the large "PO" stenciled along the back post might mean ?

02-2-2021 12:11:44  #7

My guess would be Post Office. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-2-2021 16:53:09  #8

Uwe wrote:

My guess would be Post Office. 

Or maybe personnel office? 

Board footera