You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-12-2020 21:27:47  #11

Re: Do you live in, or know of a "typewriter town"?

Here's another thought. My apologies if this only adds fuel to the fire that drives the middlemen that you speak of (I'm not in disagreement with you regarding their involvement by the way). When I look at a typewriter and its makeup — given the complexity of construction and the quality of materials used, I see a machine that is worth well more than $30. Compare a typewriter to so much of the other crap (that are essentially disposable goods) which people are willing to pay big money for. Even when the prices rise into the triple digits, most typewriters still strike me as a bargain comparatively speaking. I do understand that many people buy machines these just to display. I can appreciate that fact at some level as I dig looking at typewriters just as much as the next guy or gal. But I'm also. getting the impression that there are an increasing number of people out there that are buying these machines for the primary purpose of using them to write with. Just earlier today I saw that a friend who is active on Instagram posted a video of his young daughter, In the video she was typing away, writing yet another "book" on her typewriter. I had no idea that his daughter like typewriters. That made my day.

24-12-2020 09:08:11  #12

mmm... It's an interesting discussion, it seems to me that the availability and pricing of typewriters is a localised phenomenon. In little ol' Perth Western Australia, middle men are not a direct influence, but indeed, the influence is pervasive. I have viewed and purchased machines which have been damaged, one particularly which had been dropped, a carriage shift Adler Tippa. The damage was so extensive, I couldn't remove the cover. After some wrestling with one of the seller's screwdrivers, I managed to open it. A long story short, the very pleasant and well to do lady had advertised according to inflated prices seen on ebay. Eventually without my haggling, she sold me two machines for the price of one. I made the purchase because I wanted the Adler as it had cursive script. So yes, elevated prices are a pervasive factor.

Conversely, recently I answered an ad which offered an Olivetti 32 for AUD1. I asked if he was selling it, and upon his confirmation, he asked me to offer a price. I said it was in my interest to offer him AUD5, and that would not be right, so I couldn't. He said: "Okay, what about $20?" I jumped at it, and because I had a meeting that day, limiting my ability to travel that day, he offered and indeed did deliver it the next day. It turned out to be in pristine new condition, a 1974 Lettera 32 from Spain. A very pleasant chap, and a thoroughly pleasant experience.

So in short it all depends on the local market.

Incidentally, I have kept the machine, as it is Elite, and I have given my 1967 Lettera 32 (Italy) to an old friend, as it was a Pica, which I do not prefer.

As it happens, I could be judged as an undesirable chap repairing and selling but for two factors. Firstly, my quest was to find the ideal portable and the ideal standard for me to cherish and use (which I have completed). Secondly, I do not profit from the machines, they go for about AUD50 - AUD70, even after a clean and repair. Overall, I have simply broken even.

Currently I have 10 machines, 2 standards and 7 portables. Two of which I am repairing, and two (as I consider) antiques. My collection is about complete.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

26-12-2020 12:25:17  #13

So then zoom, would most people tend to think of Perth as a typewriter town? I'm guessing that your friend who received the Lettera 32 from you might well think so. I would have liked to be that friend as my eyes just don't deal so well with Elite type any longer. How are you set for things like repair shops or places to purchase a typewriter (aside from those for sale by individuals)?

27-12-2020 11:20:17  #14

I am near Boise Idaho and no typewriter shops are left.  Portland OR, Seattle WA or even Bremerton WA (who now has 2 shops)... but those are a long road-trips for me.

27-12-2020 19:35:37  #15

Hi Guth and Pete, thank you for replying.
In Perth there are no shops (outside of pawn and antique shops) offering sale, repair, or even ribbons. I use Ebay to purchase ribbons from Sydney (the seller being a retired technician). When I purchased my first machine (Adler Tippa 1974), there was, in Perth a home based business selling ribbons, however they have since retired. So - in terms of commercial ventures, nothing here at all.

So I don't think Perth could be called a typewriter town outside of two factors. Firstly, and surprisingly, there does seem to be plenty of, and a surprising variety of machines available from sellers on Gumtree and Ebay. Once again, elevated prices are restrictive; they mostly vary from overpriced to absolutely absurd, and by and large they don't sell. There's a lot to be said for pricing to sell, but during this recession, people try to gain.

The second factor, which I find most encouraging, is the interest young people have for typewriters. Whilst I have sold a modest 6 machines, 4 of them were purchased by youth (14 years, 15 years, and mid 20s). So there is a healthy interest out there.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

28-12-2020 01:28:47  #16

Pete E. wrote:

I am near Boise Idaho and no typewriter shops are left.  Portland OR, Seattle WA or even Bremerton WA (who now has 2 shops)... but those are a long road-trips for me.

Yeah, any of those places would represent quite a lengthy trek for you. It sounds like the best solution would be to link them all together in one single road-trip. I only recently learned of Typewriter Fever by the way. That place sounds insane and I'd love to visit someday. 

zoom wrote:

The second factor, which I find most encouraging, is the interest young people have for typewriters. Whilst I have sold a modest 6 machines, 4 of them were purchased by youth (14 years, 15 years, and mid 20s). So there is a healthy interest out there.

Young people have been at the root of many an analog revitalization so that's not too surprising. From what I understand, much of the interest in typewriters here in Portland stems from young people as well.

11-2-2021 01:32:41  #17

Hello Guth!
I absolutely adore your typewriter town! I have been there several times and always try to find the time to visit the typewriter shops. Ace was such a delight that I bought a t-shirt. It was the last one! Your record stores, stationery stores, and bookstores are also wonderful. Vinyl Resting Place, Oblation Papers, and Powell's come to mind. Can you tell I love your city? Haha
I am in Southern California. We have a bit of a typewriter scene in Los Angeles, but in my opinion, not as great as Portland. 

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

11-2-2021 05:47:27  #18

Amelia wrote:

Hello Guth!
I absolutely adore your typewriter town! I have been there several times and always try to find the time to visit the typewriter shops. Ace was such a delight that I bought a t-shirt. It was the last one! Your record stores, stationery stores, and bookstores are also wonderful. Vinyl Resting Place, Oblation Papers, and Powell's come to mind. Can you tell I love your city? Haha
I am in Southern California. We have a bit of a typewriter scene in Los Angeles, but in my opinion, not as great as Portland. 

Hey there Amelia. My wife and I made many a trip visiting Portland before finally moving here from Austin. With each subsequent visit to Portland, it got harder to return home to Austin. When it reached the point that it was depressing to return home, we knew it was time to make a change. Now after 18 years here in Stumptown, I find myself thinking of moving once again. I'm not sure where we would go, but I can imagine living someplace smaller, elsewhere in the Pacific Northwest (but still within reasonable driving distance of a typewriter town). There's still a lot to love here in Portland, although lately the good is being more than balanced out by plenty of not-so-good.

While I was late to the typewriter scene, I've been buying LPs since the 70''s. I was was still hitting the record stores fairly often until a few years back when I finally decided that to acquire any more albums, I'd have to sell some off (one incoming = one outgoing). That really slowed things down, as there is so little that I would be willing to part these days. Powells is legendary for a reason and always fun to visit. I've yet to visit Oblation, but I just started playing around with designing my own stationary as my wife has a really nice printer for her work that I have access to. Ace Typewriter is indeed awesome. There's a place just down the road from Ace named Blue Moon Camera and Machine that is fun to visit if you like to shoot film as I do. They also sell typewriters (thus the "and Machine" in their name). Their typewriters, like their cameras are pricey, in part because Ace preps them and they still need to make a profit. I'm not sure why their cameras are so expensive, lol. But it's still a fun spot to visit and the reality is that the prices being paid at Blue Moon for film cameras and typewriters alike will probably seem like a bargain in a few years from now.

Hopefully the typewritemosphere continues to improve both in Portland as well as in Los Angeles!

11-2-2021 20:26:29  #19

Guth-
Thanks for the detailed reply! Seems like you and your wife made a wise choice! Any places in mind for your possible move?  Oblation Papers & Press is quite fun. They have an old fashioned printing press and also a few typewriters for sale. I have been to Blue Moon. I failed to mention it because their prices were a bit too hefty for me...haha! I have a Canon AE-1 Program that I used for a beginner photography class in college many years ago, back when they still had plenty of film photography courses. It's definitely something I'd like to delve back into! 
As an aside, overpriced typewriters are everywhere here in LA. They are not serviced and/or in poor condition, typically sold at thrift stores or by private sellers. It's quite difficult to get a good deal here locally.

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

12-2-2021 04:58:47  #20

I've got no idea where the next spot might be. I love British Columbia, but a move to Canada isn't likely to happen, so Portland it is for now until the next destination reveals itself. As far as typewriters go, when it comes to prices I would say that those who were fortunate enough to get into typewriters and typewriter collecting early on were just that — fortunate. Watching the way things have played out with used LPs and film cameras both (along with a number of other things), my expectation is that typewriter prices will only continue to rise. So while prices are higher in places like Portland and Los Angeles right now, prices for typewriters in other places will catch up with Portland and LA soon enough. Because just as with fully analog LP's and film cameras (with few exceptions), these things aren't being produced any longer.

However, regardless of what typewriters sold for a few years ago, they still seem like a relative bargain to me even at the prices being charged today in places like Portland and LA. I look at the typewriters that I've purchased and marvel at the design, quality of construction and materials used. Considering the fact that most of these machines still work nearly as good as they did when new, and likely still will many decades down the road, I'm hard pressed to think of too many other products that I personally enjoy using that can compete in this regard. I envision a future where many more people own typewriters, but I imagine that only a small percentage of those new typewriter users will actually become typewriter collectors. I'm looking forward to a day when this pandemic has come to an end and I'll get to experience a Type-In here in Portland. I have a feeling that a number people who would show up will be fairly new to typewriters, having discovered these machines during the pandemic just as I have.

Board footera