You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-10-2020 10:23:48  #1

inking used ribbons.

Hi everyone,
after checking out numerous online sites,whilst having saved all my old ribbons, I have not managed to learn of a successful method to re-ink a ribbon. The question crosses my mind: is it possible? ...And if so, how?
Does anyone here know of a successful method?

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

05-10-2020 15:43:07  #2

Re: inking used ribbons.

Unless the ribbon you're using is an oddball size or extremely difficult to get, re-inking a ribbon doesn't seem like a worthwhile endeavor. Standard 13 mm ribbon is readily available and inexpensive - particularly if you use both sides (I buy black-only ribbon and flip it when the type quality begins to fade a lot).

Re-inking is of course possible, but you have to make sure to use ink that is suitable for metal (not rubber stamp ink). Similar to the method used to rejuvenate ribbons, I would apply drops of ink at regular intervals while spooling it (using a stand), wrap it, and then allow the ink time to disperse itself throughout the entire ribbon.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-10-2020 23:31:33  #3

Thank you Uwe, after reading your reply I consider that I don't know enough about ink to risk it, and as you say, they are readily available and cheap enough.

'Paraiso' Gerry Mulligan with Jane Duboc 1993

08-10-2020 10:56:29  #4

I’ve just purchased some metal stamp ink and a bottle of glycerin as I have two (maybe 3 after tomorrow) Empire 1 ribbons that need re-inking. They are about 23mm wide and whilst some timing machines apparently use a wider tape, all enquiries proved fruitless. I’ve been advised to mix the ink and glycerin about 3:1 and place a dot of the mixture every 3 inches or so on the ribbon, winding it up to allow it to seep in. Will see how it goes....!

14-2-2021 05:22:17  #5

An update on the re-inking of ribbons for an Empire 1 (aka Wellington or Klein Adler): I agree that trying to re-ink a standard ribbon is never justified when new ribbons are available at low prices but started down the re-inking route for the non-standard width Empire ribbon (about 20mm wide) as I was struggling to obtain a new ribbon.
A mix of metal stamp ink and glycerine had been suggested but even at around a 50/50 mix the ink was still very gloopy and difficult to apply. The result was inconsistent and the print quality very heavy.
I also had a dry, old stock time clock recorder ribbon of the correct width and had read about breathing new life into dry ribbons using WD40. This was easier to do and after leaving it to soak in for a couple of days, gave a reasonable print quality, although more faint than a standard ribbon. Still not fully satisfied, I purchased a new ribbon from the only known supplier of 20mm ribbons (in the Netherlands). The print quality with this ribbon was also faint, suggesting that this might be an issue with time clock recorder ribbons? 
I fitted a standard width ribbon to test out the print quality, accepting that this would only print upper case letters and numerals - the print quality was darker but confirmed that some of the fading on some letters was more to do with the typewriter itself! According to the database, the typewriter is 100 years old, so it’s not doing too badly...! 

Board footera