You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-3-2021 19:48:11  #1

Odd Badge - Olivetti Underwood

We know what the Olivetti Studio 44 machine looks like.  And we know what the Underwood-Olivetti 21 machine looks like.

Here is what is really an Underwood-Olivetti 21 machine with an odd badge that reads as " Capital Studio 44 Olivetti Underwood ".

Serial number places this machine from 1967

Not one you see often...

10-3-2021 20:33:02  #2

Re: Odd Badge - Olivetti Underwood

Are you going to pull the trigger on it? I'm watching this one on Goodwill as well.
I haven't seen a "Capital" logo like that and can't find any info on it. Searching using various combinations of logic using Capital Olivetti and Underwood don't return anything meaningful, since most typewriters have capital letters. 
Phil Forrest

10-3-2021 22:05:38  #3

Hi Phil,

No...not in the chase for this one.  I did find that re-badge quite interesting and do not recall seeing such, before.

I have had 3 come through my home in the last 3-4 months.  2 machines I rehab'd with parts of a 3rd. parts machine I bought for $ 19 locally.  That one had its main spring and escapement removed before I found it.

I kept 1 machine and gifted the 2nd. one to a deserving teen in our neighborhood who does chores for elderly folks and will not take a dime for his efforts.

I like my machine...only minor annoyance is the shape and thinness of the space bar.  I had a chance to try some Olivetti's in person (L-22 and L-32) and was just not impressed.  But the Underwood-Olivetti 21 suits me.  And I was surprised by that.

But yes...that Capital badge is most curious.

11-3-2021 11:19:18  #4

Without having done any digging into this, my guess would be that it was a custom-made plate used by a local department store or an actual typewriter store (either pre- or post-sale). Dealer stickers and plates are extremely common, and combining a name badge with your dealer plate seems like a classier way to promote your business. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-3-2021 12:06:27  #5

Hi Uwe,

I was thinking the same thing.  The Capital badge looks like it is applied to the surface of the ribbon cover and not recessed-in like the original badge was...maybe the new badge is simply covering the old badge.

If one of our members wins this SGW auction, maybe they can report back to see details closer up.

I did spend some time looking for an old/defunct store with "Capital" in its name...but no luck.

11-3-2021 12:24:36  #6

I believe I found the answer. First clue: Goodwill Industries of Arkansas, Inc. is the seller.
I queried up "Capital" + typewriter + company and a link to Capital Business Machines in Little Rock, Arkansas came up. Their intro statement at the bottom of the page states that the company began in 1939 as Capital Typewriter Company dealing mostly in typewriters and has since changed names, expanding their services and products. 
Phil Forrest

11-3-2021 13:26:14  #7

Great sleuthing, Phil !

Interesting they chose to use "Studio 44" from the "sister' machine for their store badge.

11-3-2021 13:59:08  #8

Thanks. It would be interesting to find out how the licensing arrangement between Capital and Olivetti-Underwood was approached. Usually, manufacturers keep their logos very close and re-printing or engraving of them is either prohibited or kept under close scrutiny. Somewhere out there may be a mold for creating this embossed logo in pewter (?) or other brushed and distressed metal. I'm willing to bet they were applied with a very strong double sided tape or perhaps even riveted into the ribbon cover. Fascinating stuff.
Phil Forrest

12-8-2022 21:26:27  #9

Phil...there was the old Capital Typewriter Co. back starting in 1939 on Main Street in Little Rock.  Maybe this old store-sign was theirs...???

13-8-2022 10:02:33  #10

Sorry...image link did not last.

But take a look at the "Capital Typewriter" sign posting here in this other Discussion Thread :

https://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=3757

Board footera