You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-3-2021 15:26:04  #1

Hermes 3000 light tops of letters

Hello, I have been searching for a solution to this problem for quite a while and have finally found it on the ‘reddit’ site. I have not yet been able  to effect the adjustment as the screw will not yield to the persuasion of my screwdriver at present. I am hoping that the application of penetrating oil will release it. Anyway, here is the link to the reddit page in the hope that it will be a help to someone else with same problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/typewriters/comments/cafoe0/hermes_3000_with_light_strikes_lower_half_of_some/

Happy tapping, Woodman

14-3-2021 15:42:06  #2

Re: Hermes 3000 light tops of letters

Could it be that your platen has shrunk and hardened? 
Phil Forrest

14-3-2021 17:50:40  #3

Hi Woodman

First off, is this problem manifesting itself in lower case, upper case or both? I imagine the machine has been cleaned and any vital moving parts lightly oiled to ensure that everything is moving properly before any adjustments are made in order to rule out any dust bunnies or bits of paper getting jammed between parts and upsetting any precision adjustments.

By your description, it sounds like the basket is sitting too high. However, let's investigate Phil's theory first. The letters on the type slugs are concave ground to match the curvature of the platen in order to give a proper strike. To check for platen shrinkage insert a sheet of 20 lb. ( 75 g/m²) typing paper and make sure you have a fresh inky ribbon. Now type a string of the same letter while very slowly pressing the shift key.

The lower case letters should form a downhill line and disappear just before the upper case letters start to appear. Carefully examine the line of letters. If the letters become perfect before the bottom starts to fade, platen is OK. If both top and bottom of letters are faded but center is dark, platen has shrunk. If letters are good at one point, check the condition of the rubber bumper on the shift cam soft stop. If bumper is OK, then hard stop likely needs adjusting. Please note, I always recommend the use of a sheet of 28 lb. (104 g/m²) or 32 lb. (120 g/m²) paper as a backing sheet whenever typing in normal circumstances.

Simply by going on how my H3K looks, I'm thinking one will have to loosen the lock nut on the lower hard stop before the upper hard stop can be adjusted,. I don't know if there were any set-up tools for adjusting these stops, and a 90º screw driver would be a handy too for accessing this screw. If anyone knows about setting these machines, it would be Tom The Typewriter Man from England. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

15-3-2021 05:52:13  #4

Hello again
Firstly many thanks for your replies Phil and Sky. Well, the penetrating oil did its work and this morning I had a little go. In fact the adjustment only affected the alignment of upper and lower case letters, so I put it back to the orignal position and am no further forward.
Before I found ‘the solution ‘ on reddit I was hunting for the hard stops and until now have not found them. I had done the trial with gradually depressing the shift key and indeed there is a point where I get a correct and evenly printed letter, so the hunt continues. Yes Sky, I am sure Tom the Typewriterman will have the answer as I have benefited from his expertise on previous occasions, but I am a bit pigheaded so will carry on hunting a little longer until I am totally defeated. As they say here I have all the time that remains to me!
Again many thanks, I shall report any success or failure.
Best wishes to all typers, Woodman

15-3-2021 15:37:46  #5

Hi Again Woodman

If you look at the screw you adjusted, there is a metal tab either side of the screw. When you press the shift key, you should see a piece of metal with a rubber bumper on it flip-flopping between the two tabs, these two tabs are the hard stops. The tab further up inside the machine is the lower case stop and the other tab is the upper case stop.

From what I understand, type adjustments are made with the lower case first as lower case letters are used far more often then upper case, adjust the lower case stop to get the letters printing properly, then adjust the upper case stop to align the letters. You indicate that adjusting the screw just adjusts the upper and lower case alignment.

Is it possible that one would need to loosen the nut and rotate the stop assembly back in order to get the upper case typing properly, then adjust the type alignment if necessary? Either way, this is going to be a game of trial and error, rotate the stop assembly, try a type sample, rotate a little further, try a type sample. Gone a bit too far, so rotate back just a hair's breadth and try again. Please let us know what you find in your endeavors. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

16-3-2021 03:41:51  #6

Hi Phil,
Thanks again for your help, I obviously have to look again at the shift mechanism area. I do feel a bit like a schoolboy who has taken the back off his dad’s Swiss watch so I shall proceed with great caution. I will report back on any progress.
Best wishes, Woodman

16-3-2021 11:47:29  #7

I had another look this afternoon. As a result, I think your original diagnosis of hardened and shrunk platen could have been spot-on. I am still convinced that the adjustments I have been working on are simply to align upper and lower cases. I have taken both the stops off the machine and see that the uppercase stop has an oval hole at the locking screw allowing it to swing, whereas the lowercase stop has two round holes, so a fixed position when assembled and no adjustment movement. When the uppercase adjustment is fully down the tops are still a bit light. I did consider a ‘codge’ of ovaling the one hole on the lowercase stop but know that, apart from being sacrilege, it would not create enough movement anyway.
Thanks to Lauren’s van Galen I know a very good enterprise in Amsterdam whose name I have temporarily lost but they did a splendid job at a very reasonable price on the platen of my Underwood 3 bank so that looks like the next move.
Thanks for your help anyway, best wishes, Woodman.

16-3-2021 12:20:01  #8

You might try a sheet of this Avery laminating sheet as a "backing" sheet for your typing paper. 

The plastic is about 3 mils thick and might just add enough to get good letter strikes on your paper.

16-3-2021 13:02:02  #9

Thanks Phil, I’ll give it a try.
Cheers, Woodman

Board footera