You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-9-2019 21:50:25  #1

Inexpensive Desk Alternatives

I was reading https://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2705

about the IKEA desk and it sounded like a good idea until I saw that they cost $179 US. I'm way too poor to spend that much on a desk. Someday I will find a nice old wooden typewriter desk but until then...

Surely someone has come up with a great idea for an inexpensive typewriter desk, some recycled or repurposed something that works and doesn't look horrible.  I think a person could even build a serviceable platform for $20-30 US, How about: Cut a few inches off the legs of a wooden desk? Nah, I bet there wouldn't be enough leg room left. How about a sewing machine cabinet?   People almost give those away.

I'll bet that would work. You might have to cut away the front  panel where the machine was to make room for your legs. Most sewing machines are a little higher than desks, so you'd have cut at least 3-4" off the legs. They are also quite solid and sturdy, (at least with the machine in them) and some are pretty funky looking and writing-worthy, or even attractive.

I may have answered my own question here but I'd be interested to hear thoughts on it or your other ideas,

08-9-2019 10:30:03  #2

Re: Inexpensive Desk Alternatives

If you're talking about a vintage table I guess it would depend on its design. The one I have has ornate wooden legs that couldn't be cut down. A lot of others use metal legs that also would be difficult to alter.

I'd suggest checking your local ads daily; in my area there are always vintage typewriter desks being offered, and sometimes for free. The small metal ones with folding wings are always around too. Assuming you live in an urban area I'm sure that with some patience you'll find something interesting at a next-to-nothing price. I'm curious to see what you end up with so keep us posted, .

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-9-2019 14:53:25  #3

Yes of course I mean something with wooden legs that can be cut down for repurposing. I'm short so I need a lower surface-a higher chair would not work for me. I also live in a small city <100K so real typewriter desks only come up once in a while, and they are usually priced similar to the IKEA in that other thread as "antiques". Most of the typewriters are overpriced too, and I think a lot of them just get tossed when the seller can't get $75 for that old pile of antique rust.

10-3-2021 12:34:42  #4

Console tables show up on Face Book Marketplace all the time.  Here is one near my home for $ 20 asking...

Realize this is an old post...but maybe other folks are looking for low-cost alternatives.

12-3-2021 00:29:52  #5

Target sells a folding tray table that holds a portable typewriter perfectly. The problem is the footprint of the legs is just an inch or two small so there is the possibility of the table tipping backwards when you stand up. I have two of these and use them for all sorts of things around the house. If I head out with one of my typewriters, I like to bring a folding table with. I know this isn't a full time desk but it's something.
Back in 2008, I moved into a new place in Philly and needed a bigger desk, so I asked my landlord to keep an eye out for me. Turns out he had an old oak door that couldn't be mortised anymore to hang properly so we made a desk out of the door and some nice pieces of wood he had in his shop for legs. It worked perfectly for years. The hole for the knob was a perfect place for computer and electrical cords to route cleanly through. Don't get a cheap hollow interior door, your typewriter will sound like a herd of elephants.
Phil Forrest

05-4-2021 18:47:02  #6

I'm still looking for something. I haven't been typing so it hasn't been an issue, but I just picked up a typewriter that actually works.

I will bring my tape measure to Walmart this week. They've got to have something that will work temporarily. Maybe a folding tray table like mentioned above. I don't think you could fit your legs under a console table.

The keyboard slide out drawer on my cheap old computer desk would work perfectly except it would never hold the typewriter and I don't need that dropping on my ankles....

05-4-2021 18:54:09  #7

Ahhh...dang. There's an antique Standard Furniture Typewriter Desk for a reasonable price not far from me, but there's no way I could get it where it needs to be.

06-4-2021 17:29:59  #8

I picked this up at Walmart for $12. Its light and portable and the right size/height. However...its way too wobbly. It has thick rubber bushings in the rivets where it pivots that I'm pretty sure are the culprit. I wonder if its worth ruining it to see if cutting those stupid rivets out and replacing them with bushing-free bolts would do the trick.

06-4-2021 18:10:26  #9

Definitely worth it. Those are the same ones I use.
Phil Forrest

06-4-2021 18:35:16  #10

Do you modify it to make it more stable? I want to use it with my new FB, which is a heavy beast.

Board footera