You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-4-2021 19:24:12  #1

Typewriter Royal KHM (1937 18 inch)

I have bought a Royal KHM (1937)  typewriter. The person who sent me this beautiful machine made a mistake by packing it unsafe.
So it was damaged. The black (Bakelite?) cylinder/platen-knob was broken.
Now I can't find a new one so I want to glue the broken pieces, to then make a mold and recast it. Yet first I have to loosen the remaining piece from the bolt. Yet that is difficult as the bolt does not give while trying to turn it loose.
Does anyone here have a method how to loosen this without damaging the rest of the knob?

In the picture you see the black broken knob that is fitted on a bolt that can be fastened (see the two little screw holes on the neck) on the platen of the typewriter.
At the other side is a metal flat disc (see the yellow arrow).
The Bolt has just above the 2 little screw holes, a thin seam (see the red arrow) that suggests as if it exists out of multiple parts that can be loosened from each other.
How else could someone in the factory have fitted the black knob onto the bolt? I Have tried to loosen the parts but it is so stuck I just don't know.

Does anyone here have any experience with this problem? Please answer if you have a solution. Thank you.

05-4-2021 04:00:33  #2

Re: Typewriter Royal KHM (1937 18 inch)

Your link doesn't seem to work !

05-4-2021 11:27:41  #3

Here's your photo:
=13pxhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/192665990@N05/
As for the question, that will not unscrew. That bakelite is molded onto the metal shaft. The right side knob on my KMG was cracked from shipping (and being 80 years old,) and I just epoxied it back together. Works perfectly.
Phil Forrest

05-4-2021 12:30:43  #4

Hi SC-16

Welcome to the forum, and yes, standard typewriters do not travel very well. It takes a lot of knowledge and skill to properly pack a standard model for safe transport. What Phil says about these knobs is correct, the Bakelite or plastic is molded or cast onto the metal bushing. The reason for this manufacturing procedure, as far as I can tell, is to allow a touch friendly material (plastic etc.) to be secured to the platen shaft with the strength of metal. The second generation Hermes 3000 typewriters are renowned for the injection molded plastic platen knobs becoming brittle and breaking off the aluminum bushings.

You may be able to source a replacement used platen knob assembly by posting in the Parts sub-forum of this forum and/or keeping an eye out on sites like eBay etc. I know these are not what you're looking for, but eBay item # 154305264318 will give you an idea of what to look for. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

16-4-2021 00:05:47  #5

Hi Again SC-16

If you still check back here now and then, take a look at eBay item # 164800033302 There might be something here to suite your need. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera