You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-5-2021 08:49:39  #1

In-Coming Consul 1511 (Deluxe)...

Have this 1959 Consul 1511 coming to our home in about a week or so.

Made in the Czech Republic.

Few nicks in the paint, but overall in good condition.

Will post more photos once I get it on the workbench and cleaned up, etc.

02-5-2021 14:01:09  #2

Re: In-Coming Consul 1511 (Deluxe)...

Looks like an export model, so I assume you bought it from someone in North America? I think the DeLuxe is a beautiful machine, but then again I'm partial to the '50s aesthetic and believe the era (including the early '60s) represented the zenith of manual typewriter quality. The Czechoslovakian firm Zeta (Zbrojovka Brno) knew its stuff and clearly learned a lot from producing licensed Remington models. However, even though I own many examples of its typewriter models, my first thought still turns to the Bren gun whenever the company name comes up. (Now I'm curious if this model is already in the Gallery).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-5-2021 15:15:42  #3

Hi Uwe,

I was inspired to look for one after reading the article by Will Davis on his blog site...where he mentions many Consuls surface for sale in Ohio State with the Czech immigration population in the past.  And their influence on good food, too.

https://davistypewriters.blogspot.com/2018/03/consuls-continue.html

And sure enough, mine is coming from Ohio State...

02-5-2021 15:17:38  #4

p.s.  I too try to stay in the 1950's and 1960's with my machines.

But did cross the lines 2 times...once for my 1947 Royal QDL and the other time, more recently, for my 1970 Facit T2.

03-5-2021 05:12:09  #5

I have been very impressed with the Consul when I have had them from customers to repair.  If I had a typewriter shop in the 1960's, I would have sought out an agency for these machines as a cheaper second line to sell alongside Olympia and Adler.

03-5-2021 18:56:41  #6

Thanks Tom...for the info.

If it is even just a bit better than my 1957 Royal QDL, I will be a happy camper. 

03-5-2021 23:19:08  #7

Hi Pete

As Tom says, these are indeed very well built and sturdy machines. I had a 1511 re-branded as a Speedwriter. My only real issue with these machines is the hard jarring stop at the end of each key stroke. My 57 year old hands were worn out after typing about 3 pages. I sold the unit through my Etsy store to a teenager in New York State who just loves the machine. Please let me know how your unit feels for typing once you've given it your usual cleaning and servicing. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

04-5-2021 20:11:46  #8

Hi William,

For sure will give you an update on the feel of each type-strike when I get it in my hands.  Thanks for the heads-up.

05-5-2021 15:16:23  #9

skywatcher wrote:

... a 1511 re-branded as a Speedwriter.

The Speedwriter was a Commodore model sold through Simpson-Sears. Early examples lacked the Commodore brand labels, but they were added later on. Of course, Commodore labels are notorious for falling off...

As a Commodore model it's likely that it was actually assembled in Toronto as opposed to being a private label model shipped from Zeta. This can be pertinent when comparing type action, etc., between a "Speedwriter" and a Consul given two different factories could have been involved in the creation of those machines.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-5-2021 23:45:09  #10

Hi Uwe

The label in the carry case said made in Czechoslovakia and the serial number of the unit was ZP-160243. I thought for sure it was a re-branded Consul model 1511 built by Zbrojovka Brno of Prague, Czechoslovakia. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera