You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-5-2021 21:36:15  #11

Re: My poor Webster xl-747

Well we have some progress. The drawband is back in place, but now I have other issues as shown below. I don't know the proper names of these parts so bear with me.

The toothed rail that runs under the carriage (circled) now rubs on a part of the shift mechanism (circled), as shown. You can see the wear on the shift mechanism. The carriage won't advance when its rubbing. I've only shown one side here (the left) but both sides are similar and it happens on both sides.

When you activate the carriage release, that circled rail under the carriage moves toward the back (to the left in that pic) and that frees it up... but you can't do that and type, obviously.

You can't bend the shift mechanism downward because the adjustable brass screw you can see in the pic is designed to hit a part of the frame there as a stop. I see no way to move the rail. Most likely something was jarred or possibly bent when it fell upside down, reducing the clearance so much that it rubs. But I have looked everywhere and can't figure out how to fix it other than possibly adding shims under that lower rail that is attached by the 3 screws just behind the rub spot. And I figure that's a bad idea that will just throw something else out of whack. Its sooooooo close...even a mm more space and it would clear it.

06-5-2021 21:45:34  #12

Oh disregard that disconnected hook in the background...I have the ribbon mechanism out and don't see any reason to put it back until the rest of this works.

16-5-2021 12:35:12  #13

RIP, little Brother. I can't fix you.

16-5-2021 19:57:25  #14

Hi Overwood

Looking closely at your picture, the screw head to the left of the part you've circled labeling "on this" appears to be at an angle indicating significant trauma. Don't give up completely, you could offer the unit to any member who feels they can affect a repair for just the price of shipping. I'm sure that someone here would step up to the plate. If shipping up to Canada wasn't so much, I'd be more than wiling to take a look at it. I've repaired typewriters with bent carriage rails and twisted frames before. As I say, this is just a suggestion. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

16-5-2021 20:55:10  #15

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Overwood

Looking closely at your picture, the screw head to the left of the part you've circled labeling "on this" appears to be at an angle indicating significant trauma. Don't give up completely, you could offer the unit to any member who feels they can affect a repair for just the price of shipping. I'm sure that someone here would step up to the plate. If shipping up to Canada wasn't so much, I'd be more than wiling to take a look at it. I've repaired typewriters with bent carriage rails and twisted frames before. As I say, this is just a suggestion. All the best,

Sky

Hi Sky,

Good eye!
I was wondering if someone would notice that screw. That's actually like that because I tried to take the carriage off at one point, although I never got it completely off, just loose. When I went to put it back on I couldn't get the screws on that side aligned perfectly for some reason so that one is wonky. I don't think it has anything to do with whatever is damaged, but I suppose it's possible. I didn't try very hard because the other 2 screws were OK and that wonky one doesn't seem to be affecting the rub issue. But who knows.

I just know I snagged a Charger 11 in an attempt to replace it with somethhing similar because I really liked the little guy for traveling. I may go back at it someday. Maybe I'll notice something on this new one when it comes that will give me ideas.

It fell right on the carriage so you're probably right that's bent somewhere...but its not obvious.

16-5-2021 22:41:00  #16

Hi Again

The circled bent part is actually the lower case shift stop and the screw with lock nut passing through it is the lower case adjusting screw. If the unit fell on the carriage, that would explain the bent stop. The off kilter screw actually holds the carriage rail onto the frame. When removing the carriage, the carriage rail stays on the machine and the carriage slides off the end of the rail once all stops have been removed and draw cord disconnected.

The fact that the screw would not align is a sure indication that either the carriage rail or the frame, or both are bent. When adjustments on these machines are made to within 0.010" for proper alignment and smooth operation, it doesn't take much to throw things out of whack.

If you drive a car and have ever had a steering alignment problem, you'll know it's nothing obvious to look at, but you sure feel it in the way the car behaves and the uneven wear pattern on the tires. Another example would be a model railroad, it doesn't take much of a bend in a rail to make the train come off the track. Just looking at the piece of track, you'd never know there was anything wrong with it. It's not until you start doing some accurate measurements that you'll find the problem. There I go with my analogies again. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

17-5-2021 09:23:19  #17

And that very precision leads me to believe that if it wasn't irreparably damaged before, my ham-handed attempts to fix it probably ensured it.

Board footera