You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-5-2021 15:04:54  #11

Re: Font Name ? Facit 1620

The Olympia uses the L, not a 1. It's the Facit that has a 1 key. I love my TP1 (which has a 1 key) and if all the typewriters but one had to go, I'm reasonably sure I'd keep the Facit. Love my Olympia, but love the Facit more. The keys themselves are a perfect cradle for the fingertips. I don't think any other manufacturer made keys that good.
Phil Forrest

21-5-2021 16:14:28  #12

Ahhh, that must be an older SM9 then? I'm just starting to learn my Olympias and in plan view that Facit looked more like the SM9s I've been coveting (thanks to Phil) but I wasn't looking very close obviously.

21-5-2021 17:46:32  #13

Interesting note...all four (4) of my Facit machines have the "1" key...but only one has cursive type.  Not even an italics machine in the others.

21-5-2021 18:24:17  #14

I only really know Facit from their mechanical calculators, which are great. Their typewriters reminded me of those late, plastic Erika machines, and I never had any interest in them. I guess I always just assumed they were cheap. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

21-5-2021 18:32:16  #15

I'll keep this on topic while I stand on a soapbox for Facit machines. I just replaced some of the noise dampening material in my TP1 and reduced the volume and tone of a high pitch "clink" made as the keybars come to repose against the cork. I want to replace that cork strip but I'm going to have to really do a bit of work that I don't have the time for tonight, just to get in there. The cork sits in a holder which is a strip that is spot welded to the comb. One of these days. Anyway, looking at my typeslugs, the font is 30A/CSA. It's a Roman font with a funny numeral 2 on which the base is ever-so-slightly shorter than the overall width of the character. When i got the machine, I thought the slug was damaged but this is how this particular font was designed. One of these days I'll find one with the more decorative 2 that has the wavy base. I'm still looking for an Icelandic language machine, and hopefully it will be a Facit when I find it. 
Phil Forrest

21-5-2021 19:37:21  #16

My only regret toward Facit machines is that they seemingly never came out with a manual ultra-portable....

I think once I find/bring a nice Facit T1 into my home, my Swedish grouping will be complete.

Phil...I am there with you.  Facit seems to fit me better than my Olympias ...which I love, dearly, too...

22-5-2021 05:06:26  #17

I am a little confused tho. What exactly is the difference between the TP2 and the 1620, apart from the slightly different styling. Is it the same mechanism in a different housing? Im guessing the 1620 came after the TP2? 

22-5-2021 05:33:00  #18

The only Facit I remember being interested in was the 1820 (electric). Would still love to get one of those, but they are often not in great cosmetic shape, like most standards tend to be. And you really shouldn't ship of those either, so I’m waiting for one in mint condition to pop up locally. Could take a while...

22-5-2021 08:09:45  #19

Yes...the 1620 came after the TP2. But I think you see a bit of overlap with the transition around 1967-1968.

There is a slight difference in the shape of the metal ribbon covers  on both...towards its bottom edge. Metal work on the 1620 is simplied more for easier fabrication.

The 1620 weighs in at 13.4 lbs. while the TP2 is slightly heaver at 13.7 lbs. (both weights without their cases). 

Bit more plastic under the covers.  For example, a good portion of the 1620's main spring housing is plastic with round, metal end caps.  Whereas on the TP2, still all metal.

I did not really need a 1620 in my life, but the colors of the machine and the case were attractive, and the 1620 has that "cubic" font which is one of my favorites as it is easy on my eyes to read. 

And I thought the price of $ 90 USD was very reasonable given its condition and care taken by owner(s) over the years.

22-5-2021 08:16:40  #20

Regarding the 1820 and the others that came after the 1620; from photos of the newer machines, it seems possible that the tube & bearing carriage transport system may have been dropped for a more traditional carriage rail system.

But I am not 100% sure of this...as I have not had the newer models in my hands.

Maybe other Members, here, know, for sure.

Board footera