You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-3-2013 08:16:23  #1

Dual colour ribbons

Is there anyway of refreshing or re-inking a dual colour ribbon, for example, a red/black?

How were these ribbons made in the first place?

(I've already asked this question in my post 'My Underwood four bank' but can you still buy black/red ribbons new?)

Last edited by Stevetype33 (31-3-2013 08:33:44)

31-3-2013 11:25:58  #2

Re: Dual colour ribbons

Stevetype33 wrote:

Is there anyway of refreshing or re-inking a dual colour ribbon, for example, a red/black?

I suppose in theory if you were a glutton for punishment. You could set up a rig of some kind that would ink half the ribbon at a time, but I can't see it being worth the time or effort.

Stevetype33 wrote:

How were these ribbons made in the first place?

Probably with a machine similar to the one I described above. A professionally manufactured one mind you... 

Stevetype33 wrote:

(I've already asked this question in my post 'My Underwood four bank' but can you still buy black/red ribbons new?)

Absolutely! That's why I don't think it's worth your time to try and re-ink an old dual-colour ribbon. There are loads of retailers that sell them over the net. Even eBay has many available.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-3-2013 13:25:15  #3

Uwe wrote:

Absolutely! That's why I don't think it's worth your time to try and re-ink an old dual-colour ribbon. There are loads of retailers that sell them over the net. Even eBay has many available.

You're right. I'll end my cheapskate ways and buy a new one.

02-4-2013 15:39:38  #4

Re-inking a SINGLE-COLOUR ribbon is pretty easy (see my guide, found on this board). Re-inking a duo-tone ribbon? Forget it. 

Not that it's not possible, it's just that I doubt it's worth it. It'd be so fiddly and frustrating that'd be a waste of time. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

02-4-2013 17:36:09  #5

Hi Shengas, I've already re-inked a ribbon using your method. Worked very well. Many thanks.

02-4-2013 17:43:51  #6

Aah that's jolly good news! I told you it worked! Just be careful not to use too much ink, and to spread it out a lot. You only need a couple of drops. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

07-6-2014 05:56:24  #7

Yesterday I tried revitalizing a two colour ribbon. It took a while, about 30 minutes in all, but I'd rather do this than spend a fiver on another ribbon as I get through a lot, using my machines every day. I squirted the WD40 into the jam pot lid and used a hog hair paint brush of the same width as the black part of the ribbon. I only did the black half, as the red was still OK despite being a really old one. I did one side only, the platen side of the ribbon. Left it for a while, then wiped and wound on at the same time. No bleeding of black to red occurred, but I was being extra careful. I was surprised that the process worked and pleased, as I have a lot of red/black ribbons in a drawer!

Board footera