You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-4-2020 19:30:58  #1

the beauty of the Everest K2 typewriter.

Amidst a bad reputation, which I was totally unaware of when I acquired my first Everest K2 typewriter.  A beautiful sea-foam green cursive model in near mint condition.  I soon found out why the good price, problems with the ribbon vibrator had me confused for a while but I soon got it figured out.  Now it's one of my best loved machines.  It stays in the kitchen, a beauty to look at, both me and my wife type love letters to each other, and shopping lists, ect... Whatever excuse we can make an excuse to type on it.  True it's not as snappy as one of my SC silents, but the feel is solid and robust.  Also, the Everest is one of the best designed typewriters for ease of maintenance I have ever worked on.  I can remove the carriage with two small clips, and the covers pulls off in similar fashion.  Whoever designed the K2 did so with typewriter maintenance in mind.  I have collected two more K2's, one posted for sale on Etsy, the other still desperately seeking a few key parts.

27-4-2020 12:55:40  #2

Re: the beauty of the Everest K2 typewriter.

Bad reputation? That's complete news to me! 

I'm also a fan of the K2. It's a nice portable to use, a great design, and one of the often overlooked models. The only slightly odd thing is its twin peaks name.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-4-2020 13:09:15  #3

Not sure where I saw the reference to a bad reputation, but I did see it just recently.  I think the criticism was on it's typing action.  I'm like you, I have no problem with typing on my Everest K2, it's a nice machine, yes the action is a little heavier than some of my other typewriters, but not any more than most of my other typewriters of the same era.

23-6-2020 14:38:37  #4

I do not own one and have never had a chance to see one in person.

So what is the function of the little design/feature along the bottom of the back panel, below the cast-in typewriter brand name... ?

21-6-2021 22:06:55  #5

This Everest K2 will be our home in a week or so.

21-6-2021 22:18:56  #6

Ahahaha, I glanced at that earlier but wasn't tempted. What's the Everest K2 story? Pretty lofty name.

21-6-2021 22:56:51  #7

Hi Overwood,

Italian maker stared around 1929 in Milan, Italy.  By 1966-67 or so, they were absorbed by Olivetti.

Not sure why their portable was named Everest K2...reference to the 2 tallest peaks on the globe...escapes me...

I tried one last year and promptly returned it to the owner.  Can't explain it, but that machine just felt worn-out.  And full of rust that was significant and not disclosed by the seller and/or in their photos.

I am optimistic this grey-white specimen will be a "star" and a keeper.

22-6-2021 10:16:46  #8

So here would be my WAG about the names :

1.  The company started ~ 1929...picked "Everest" to highlight their desire to be "on top of the world" (i.e. the typewriter world).

2.  In 1952, two (2) Italian mountain climbers conquered the 2nd. highest peak in the world...K2.  In 1954 the K2 model was released for the first time.  Maybe a tribute to the climbers' accomplishments.

25-6-2021 16:22:29  #9

My in-coming Everest K2 from 1959.

Needs a bit more cleaning of some sticky keys and the ribbon spool reversing mechanisms are a bit gummed-up.

Case will need some cleaning and maybe some touch-up paint.

This one types really quickly, lightly, and responsively.  No "dead-wood" feel of another K2 I tried last year and sent back to the seller.

Paint of the machine is immaculate and this typewriter was well-loved and cared-for.

The little white round lever knobs remind me of old-school knobs on Hurst shifters in cars.

26-6-2021 11:23:30  #10

Looks great. Another one you can cross off your wishlist. I wonder how many typewriters are left on it

Board footera