You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-6-2021 09:50:58  #1

guessing the font of Royal QDL

is there any way to increase my odds of guessing the font correctly on QDLs that I can't see in person which have no typed samples and on which I can't see the escapement wheel? Was one kind of font more common overall, or more common in certain years, or? Primarily interested in 1951 and up

22-6-2021 09:52:07  #2

Re: guessing the font of Royal QDL

Doesn't have to be foolproof method, and I'm sure it won't be. I don't mind a missed guess or two, but I wouldn't want 10 in a row.

22-6-2021 10:36:24  #3

It's not a hard, fast rule, more of a corollary, in that if a portable typewriter has a numeral 1 key it *may* be a cursive, script, or italic font. Other than that, I'm not sure. 
A square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not necessarily a square.
Phil Forrest

22-6-2021 11:13:27  #4

Overwood,

I will ask a seller to send me a photo from a top view with the ribbon cover off...letting them know I would like to see the condition of some of the mechanicals.  Do they same by asking for a bottom-up view of the machine as well.

I do not tip my hand to inform them I am trying to see the type-slug style. 

No point in letting them know I am hunting a valued font-style if not necessary.

22-6-2021 11:34:13  #5

Thanks Pete and Phil. I posted it in the wrong thread but what I'd like to guess at is font size/spacing more than font style. I don't think I could tell that from an above photo, and you can't really see the star wheel from below on a QDL.

Pete E. wrote:

Overwood,

I will ask a seller to send me a photo from a top view with the ribbon cover off...letting them know I would like to see the condition of some of the mechanicals.  Do they same by asking for a bottom-up view of the machine as well.

I do not tip my hand to inform them I am trying to see the type-slug style. 

No point in letting them know I am hunting a valued font-style if not necessary.

22-6-2021 11:35:13  #6

Pitch is the word I'm groping for

22-6-2021 11:45:17  #7

I'd say that you could probably discern pitch between machines from a good view of the typeslugs at rest. I know I can tell the difference between pic and elite on a Super 5 series Smith Corona, as the capital letter A, among others (W, T, F, H, K, Z, X, V, N, M) is noticeably larger, as the base of the letter is spread fully across the typeslug on a pica machine, and looks visibly smaller on an elite. I think pretty much the same goes for most makes.
Phil Forrest

22-6-2021 14:47:27  #8

The scales on the paper bail and/or paper table are of great help to determine the pitch. Rule of thumb for portables with a standard carriage:

>80 = 10 cpi
>90 = 11 cpi
>100 = 12 cpi

22-6-2021 17:28:19  #9

I will have to test these methods out. Thanks

Board footera