You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-6-2021 07:50:51  #1

Early Erika 5: pinch lever missing spring?

Hi all,

I found an early Erika 5 in a second hand store in the Netherlands. The serial number dates it back to 1930, and it's in a overal good condition. It is the model without a carriage return lever. Instead, it has a small 'pinch lever' that is used to advance the platen to the next line. There is also a knob that allows to set a line spacing of 1, 2 or 3 lines.

I noticed that when the line spacing is changed from 1 line to 3 lines, the pinch lever 'falls' back to a position that is too horizontal (see images). This causes the lever to eventually clash with the left ink ribbon guiding 'roll'. The lever can be easily pushed back to the more upright position, but it seems strange that one would have to remember that every time. This made me wonder if the lever on my machine perhaps is missing some kind of small spring that would keep it pressed against the dented wheel of the platen. Is there anyone on this forum with this same model (or an early Naumann Bijou, which I think are the same build) who could confirm this?

Thanks!
Raoul

image 1: lever in green circle - position too horizontal / too low
image 2: clash with ribbon guide
image 3: lever pushed back manually where it should be (when line spacing is set to 3)

23-6-2021 13:33:31  #2

Re: Early Erika 5: pinch lever missing spring?

I’d have a look at the pictures of similar vintage Erikas on the database. I have a 1943, but by then it’s a totally different mechanism. 

https://typewriterdatabase.com/Erika.5.242.bmys

23-6-2021 20:39:14  #3

Re: Early Erika 5: pinch lever missing spring?

Hi Raoul

How far does the screw that secures the ratchet pawl to the arm protrude through the pawl? I'm thinking there may have been a torsion spring anchored around the screw and hooking onto both pawl and arm, something like the throttle shaft spring on a Tecumseh carburetor. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera